Chocolate Stout with Vanilla help!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saaz => seems a shame to use a really nice hop in a stout ... at least to my way of thinking

Saaz is a good hop, and I usually try and save it for flavour/aroma in a lager or Belgian style ale. I think the spicy/earthiness does go well with a lot of stouts and it mixes well with a lot of English hops. Plus when used for bittering, low AA% hops usually have a smoother bitterness, it's just you have to use a ton of them.

Hallow Jimmy,
I've had some result with the stouts and porters with lactose.
Been experinting a lot.
But the best I found is adding the lactose a couple of days (about 1-2) before kegging or bottling!
Found for adding the lactose in the boil was ok...in time the milky smoothness was deminished...if u know what I mean.
Think if I was to do it again, lactose in the boil..(why not isn't going to spoil it) and add again befor carbing.
Can't remeber off the top of my head but think for 200g in a 10l, & 300g in a 15l batch for carbing...
I'll have to say adding vanilla extract wasn't my best idea...the extract was oily..and put a film at the top of the bottle.
Obviously I didn't research which ones to buy!! Think went to supermarket and just grab one from the cake area!! Dooo!
Once I research which one to use it was better.
Vanilla pods would be better...but I've not tried this yet..
Hope it help a little?

Hallow Jimmy,
Been experinting a lot.
But the best I found is adding the lactose a couple of days (about 1-2) before kegging or bottling!
Found for adding the lactose in the boil was ok...in time the milky smoothness was deminished...if u know what I mean.
Think if I was to do it again, lactose in the boil..(why not isn't going to spoil it) and add again befor carbing.
Can't remeber off the top of my head but think for 200g in a 10l, & 300g in a 15l batch for carbing...
I'll have to say adding vanilla extract wasn't my best idea...the extract was oily..and put a film at the top of the bottle.
Obviously I didn't research which ones to buy!! Think went to supermarket and just grab one from the cake area!! Dooo!
Hope it help a little?

From your research which vanilla extract is best?

Hallow Jimmy,
Been experinting a lot.
Hope it help a little?

:thumb:Thanks, I know what you mean about the milky smoothness and that's what I'm after, I read a little more last night and your right, it seems adding directly the the FV is better.

Thanks for the input everyone, I'm getting quite excited about this brew now. Once I finalise the grain bill I will let you all know.

Link didn't work.

Can you give us more information on the database, never heard of it before

No problems, the link was working yesterday :

The Homebrewer's Recipe Database by Les Howarth (might have messed up the surname yesterday ?)
ISBN : 0-595-29720-X

It's just a souped up version of Protz's almanac ... I saw the latest edition is selling on the net for around 16e$ ... probably worth the investment if you are a bit (a lot) of a nerd like me ... I also wear glasses :lol:

Latest posts

Back