Noob question: My first brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benj_arnold

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry for the noobie question but I have been reading online a lot and I thought the best thing to do was to display a photo.

First of all this is a 1 gallon kit from Home Brew Depot (all grain). I brewed it on Saturday and it was done by about 8pm, on Sunday night the airlock was bubbling away nicely and by Monday morning it seemed to have stopped, I have not since seen a single bubble! I have read that a fast fermentation could happen with higher temperatures and I think the temperature in my flat is probably somewhere beteeen 70-82 F so fairly high. There is a lot of sediment at the bottom but I have not seen any foaming at the top of the beer. Was it a fast ferment? Or did it not even start? If anyone has any advice I would much appreciate it!

IMG_4426.jpg

Hi,

Sorry for the noobie question but I have been reading online a lot and I thought the best thing to do was to display a photo.

First of all this is a 1 gallon kit from Home Brew Depot (all grain). I brewed it on Saturday and it was done by about 8pm, on Sunday night the airlock was bubbling away nicely and by Monday morning it seemed to have stopped, I have not since seen a single bubble! I have read that a fast fermentation could happen with higher temperatures and I think the temperature in my flat is probably somewhere beteeen 70-82 F so fairly high. There is a lot of sediment at the bottom but I have not seen any foaming at the top of the beer. Was it a fast ferment? Or did it not even start? If anyone has any advice I would much appreciate it!

it cannot possibly of fermented out, it didnt start or you could have a stuck fermentation or killed your yeast by pitching at too high a temp , give it a shake , and see what happens your name user name is benj arnold are you in arnold nottingham ?

I cooled the wort to 68F at the time, just concerned about my flat temperatures. I'll give it a shake but would it be worth adding yeast again if that doesn't work?

Afraid not from Nottingham, I'm a Londoner!

Welcome to the Forum. :thumb:

I'm amazed at the amount of yeast!

I agree that fermentation cannot be completed so I suggest that you leave it alone for a week and then have another look at it.

Also, "First Brew = First Problem" is what makes this such a great pastime ... :thumb:

... as does "One Hundredth Brew = Two Hundredth Problem" :whistle:

Enjoy. :thumb:

PS

As you're still using Fahrenheit, I presume that you are either American or "mature". :thumb:

Welcome to the Forum. :thumb:

I'm amazed at the amount of yeast!

I agree that fermentation cannot be completed so I suggest that you leave it alone for a week and then have another look at it.

Also, "First Brew = First Problem" is what makes this such a great pastime ... :thumb:

... as does "One Hundredth Brew = Two Hundredth Problem" :whistle"

Enjoy. :thumb:

dutto i dont think thats all yeast it looks like sediment and yeast ?

If you can siphon some to a sample jar for a hydrometer reading, that is the best way to check if anything has happened - assuming you took one at the start.

It looks as if you had a krausen (yeast cake on the top) that then dropped, which is normally a good indicator that fermentation has "finished", and ag can be quite quick. It is still a good idea to give it the full weeks to give you as clear a beer as possible.

20-22c/68-70F is generally the ideal temp range.

My first stove top brews had similar amount of sediment (using s-04).

Thanks for the responses guys!

It was a "Home Brew Depot" APA kit and it included a pale malt mix, Columbus buttering hops, cascade aroma hops, centennial dry hops (not added yet).

If you can siphon some to a sample jar for a hydrometer reading, that is the best way to check if anything has happened - assuming you took one at the start.

It looks as if you had a krausen (yeast cake on the top) that then dropped, which is normally a good indicator that fermentation has "finished", and ag can be quite quick. It is still a good idea to give it the full weeks to give you as clear a beer as possible.

You think it has fermented then? I will still leave it the full 10 days (at least) whatever I think. Need to add more hops at 7 days apparently....

I foolishly did not take a HG reading.

Thanks for the responses guys!

It was a "Home Brew Depot" APA kit and it included a pale malt mix, Columbus buttering hops, cascade aroma hops, centennial dry hops (not added yet).

personally i would rack it off all that stuff at the bottom , add a wilkos ale yeast and stick it near a radiator, i dont think its started it cant have finished in such short time .

Possibly, did you have a frothy layer on top at any point?

Do you know how big a yeast pack you had, as a large amount might have chewed through faster....

A hydrometer reading (of around 1.010) will indicate that it is (nearly) finished.

Possibly, did you have a frothy layer on top at any point?

Do you know how big a yeast pack you had, as a large amount might have chewed through faster....

A hydrometer reading (of around 1.010) will indicate that it is (nearly) finished.

I never saw any frothy layer which is one of my concerns - I do not know how big the yeast pack was I'm afraid.

personally i would rack it off all that stuff at the bottom , add a wilkos ale yeast and stick it near a radiator, i dont think its started it cant have finished in such short time .

I thought it was too hot as it was? Is that not the case?

I have ordered some more yeast so may do as you suggest when that arrives if no change.

I thought it was too hot as it was? Is that not the case?

I have ordered some more yeast so may do as you suggest when that arrives if no change.

you temps sound fine 23 = 73 so ok for beer some ferment higher just let it get fermenting then stand it back from the rad , wilkos ale yeast is bang on so that would be fine for this job.

you temps sound fine 23 = 73 so ok for beer some ferment higher just let it get fermenting then stand it back from the rad , wilkos ale yeast is bang on so that would be fine for this job.

Would there be an issue with say siphoning it back into my brew pot sorting out my demijohn and then siphoning it back and adding the yeast?

Edit ** I could probably pick up a second one from Wilco's if necessary...

Ha im glad someone else converted the old money temps ;)
Gravity readings are the only worthwile indicator of fermentation you can rely on. airlock glugs etc are much less reliable indicators.

while ive had brews that have completed primary fermentation in a few days not within 24 hours tho.

check the gravity tho its the only way to know for sure..

+ 1 for gravity reading to check.

But I'd bet a fiver that its finished, looking at the picture and from what you've said.
I think that 23C is at the very high end temp wise and you said the flat was up to 82F which is 27.7C. It also looks like lots of yeast to have eaten through the small amount of fermentables in the DJ.
It'll be interesting to find out though - let us know how it goes (& tastes) and well done on your 1st brew:thumb:

+ 1 for gravity reading to check.

But I'd bet a fiver that its finished, looking at the picture and from what you've said.
I think that 23C is at the very high end temp wise and you said the flat was up to 82F which is 27.7C. It also looks like lots of yeast to have eaten through the small amount of fermentables in the DJ.
It'll be interesting to find out though - let us know how it goes (& tastes) and well done on your 1st brew:thumb:
I agree. Looks like its finished, confirm by gravity check.
If it is, leave it for four more days.
Rack off the trub, leave it two more days, add the remaining hops then four days in the warm, and finally two days in the coldest place there is to finish clearing.

I second this. Looks as though you've had a vigorous fermentation. Firstly 11g of yeast is a pretty big overpitch for a 1 gallon brew of average gravity.

You might find that your OG was low, combined with the full sachet of yeast. I wouldn't have said that it's unreasonable for primary fermentation to be finished.

Back