Noob question: My first brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. That's probably those extra points. When you hit 67 and up to 70, you start using alpha amylase. These enzymes will produce unfermentable sugars. 64 to 67 uses beta amylase that produce very fermentable sugar. That gives you dry beer. But staying at 68, you get a mix of both giving your beer body.

Thanks... I will bottle!

Thanks for the help everyone.... there is definitely some odd flavours and it has come out VERY cloudy... maybe some sediment has got mixed with the beer? I have left the bottles in the fridge standing for a couple more weeks now so will see what they are like soon.

Any tips on how to reduce the cloudiness?

IMG_4521.jpg

Transfer to second fermentor and let ferment for an additional week. The cold crash the FV before you bottle. If you can't get the FV to fit in your fridge, I use my very large cooler box. Put cold water with ice packs. Keep it cold for at least 4 days.
You can also use gelatin in the secondary fermenter. That'll crash all the proteins.

Another couple of weeks in the bottle should help with clarity for your current bottled brew.

Other things to consider for future brews - adding a teaspoon of irish moss (or a protofloc tablet) to the last 10 minutes of the boil helps with clarity, then theres the hot break during the boil (dont worry about that for now).

Your best course of action is to get your next brew on, make sure to mash at the correct temp and ferment out at a constant 18-20°C if possible.

You've got drinkable beer from your first brew so well done, your next brew will be better, then the next better still etc. etc.

Looks good. Hope you took lots of notes. When you brew again, make minor adjustments and see what changes in your beer. This way you can hone in on your process.

Hi there, I'm not one for giving good advice, but it was quite soothing to hear it's not just Flixon Breweries that have had problems with their first brew. We put two and a half times the amount of sugar into ours by accident. Anyway, thanks to this forum, we think we've managed to rescue it. - Good luck buddy

Latest posts

Back