Your favourite recipe that you've created yourself

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Irritatingly my best beer was a complete fluke made from left over ingredients. 50% wheat, 50% pilsner malt which was left over from a hefeweizen, and some galaxy, simcoe and mosaic I had left over from a "Mid-Pacific" Pale I brewed. US-05 yeast. It was bloody beautiful and no recipe that I have deliberately concocted has matched it :-D
Even from this brief description that sounds really nice. If you have the full recipe can you publish it here including hop quantities and schedule?

Maris Otter 87%
Flaked Maize 09%
Crystal (50L) 04%
Goldings 20 IBU
Wyeast 1469

I just didn't know Yorkshire bitter could be so good until I made it myself, it was a total revelation, I thought so this is what it is meant to taste like.
Thanks for sharing the recipe! I found this forum on my quest to make a Yorkshire bitter, having had a local version several years ago that I remember with fondness. Couple of questions - how does Yorkshire Bitter differ from other english bitters? And why the flaked maize? I was thinking of adding dextrin malt or mashing at 63C so that this low ABV beer would have a bit more body. Your experience would be greatly appreciated, as I won't be able to try the real thing for more than a year!

Oh, and I've got an abundance of English Pilgrim hops, but no Goldings - what are your thoughts?

I kept everything REALLY simple. 60 minute boil and a single addition at the beginning of the boil. Here are the figures : OG 1050 / IBU 19 fermentation at 21° / 22° C

And I was totally impressed with the Wyeast 1469, when I took the first sip I got one of those Eureka moments ... hey, this is Yorkshire bitter ... nothing like the dross I was drinking up in Humberside for four years !
Quite honestly, in that brew, I didn't do anything, the yeast did it all. :thumb:
Ah, I was going to ask about your OG, but figured I'd shoot for the 1.030-39 range. Yours is a bit higher ABV than I'll make. Finding that yeast was my inspiration for creating this beer.

I used to only create my own beers, would never clone, although as my technique has got better I've been able to do some clones. Anyway, this was my second attempt to make a hoppy lager, came out really well. I've made it twice and would like to make it a third time.

FV Vol: 25L OG: 1.044 FG: 1.013 ABV: 4.1%

Lager Malt 4.5kg
flaked barley 100g
cara gold 100g

28g Columbus 60 min
12g columbus 30 min
12g cascade 30 min
14g columbus 15 min
14g cascade 15 min
14g columbus 5 min
14g cascade 5 min

Saflager W-34/70

I have some Saflager W-34/70 yeast trub in the fridge so will be giving this (or something very similar) a go as my next brew.

Thanks for posting, has given me inspiration !

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Duckling Pale Ale

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 25 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 27 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.030
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.033
Final Gravity: 1.008
ABV (standard): 3.3%
IBU (tinseth): 138.08
SRM (morey): 5.97

FERMENTABLES:
3 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (85.7%)
250 g - American - Victory (7.1%)
250 g - United Kingdom - Cara Malt (7.1%)

HOPS:
50 g - Amarillo, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 0
25 g - Amarillo, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 8.6, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days, IBU: 0
75 g - Mosaic, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 0
25 g - Mosaic, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days, IBU: 0

YEAST: Bry-97

12 days fermentation at 20°C. 4 days dry hopping. 2 of which were at 20°C 2 at 4°C.

By far my best beer. Rebrewed and bottled in Jan and much better 2nd time round with more experience.
e3168472cc34900c26f79ad1b624eda6.jpg

e8c8f7003883affb9a7db442923459ff.jpg

I have some Saflager W-34/70 yeast trub in the fridge so will be giving this (or something very similar) a go as my next brew.

Thanks for posting, has given me inspiration !

Awesome, glad to have helped :). I'd be very interested to hear how yours goes.

Thanks for sharing the recipe! I found this forum on my quest to make a Yorkshire bitter, having had a local version several years ago that I remember with fondness. Couple of questions - how does Yorkshire Bitter differ from other english bitters? And why the flaked maize? I was thinking of adding dextrin malt or mashing at 63C so that this low ABV beer would have a bit more body. Your experience would be greatly appreciated, as I won't be able to try the real thing for more than a year!

Oh, and I've got an abundance of English Pilgrim hops, but no Goldings - what are your thoughts?

Bitters are a broad category and can vary from malty to quite hop forward, although not necessarily in the same way American ales are. They generally make use of a flavourful English ale yeast strain.

I don't think Yorkshire bitters differ massively from other English Bitters other than the use of a Yorkshire yeast. You could try to emulate the Yorkshire Square fermentation vessel by employing an open fermentor and rousing the yeast for the first couple of days during active fermentation.

The recipe above only uses bittering hops so I think Pilgrim would be fine.

Latest posts

Back