4 week turnaround - conditioning & priming

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toxophilly

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post here :mrgreen:

I've been brewing for about 4 years and am on my ninth or so all-grain brew. I try to learn and do new things each time, so for my next brew I want to try a fast turnaround from brewing to drinking. I've got a book of recipes and each recipe specifies primary fermentation (hopefully a week or less) followed by a certain number of weeks' conditioning, the fewest being 3.

My question is this: should priming with sugar and allowing time to carbonate be added onto the end of conditioning, or can they be done at the same time?

In other words, would the recipe above be
1 week primary + 3 weeks conditioning & carbonating (total 4), or
1 week primary + 3 weeks conditioning + 2 weeks carbonating (total 6)?

An additional question is how long is necessary for carbonation to complete, and at what temperature? Conditioning temperatures are usually low, but I think warmer temperatures will help carbonate more quickly.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Welcome to the forum,

Conditioning and carbonation can be done at the same time.

But the real question is how fast do you want? You can go from grain to glass in 7 days if you want (my last two brew were like this) but everything; beer style choice, yeast choice, OG, all have to focused and prioritised around fast turn around

Hefeweizen is a really good beer with a quick turnaround. I did 2 weeks primary then 2 weeks carbonation and it's ready and good to drink. Its a style that is actually better young.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Yeast and og is the key for my " can't wait till its done" brews. Imho to get good beer fast ,use a yeast that drops out fast and clean. My favorite at present is 04. I use it at 68*f max temp in fermentor ,witch I feel is key to not getting undesired flavors from 04. Then when the yeast is done, "determined by gravity stabilizing And! Tasting, you cold crash it to close to freezing. (72hr). Then carb it up or bring it to room temp and bottle. The og comes into play here also, keep it low 1.055 or so. If og is to high you can expect undesired flavors when trying to get good beer fast.

Yeast and og is the key for my " can't wait till its done" brews. Imho to get good beer fast ,use a yeast that drops out fast and clean. My favorite at present is 04. I use it at 68*f max temp in fermentor ,witch I feel is key to not getting undesired flavors from 04. Then when the yeast is done, "determined by gravity stabilizing And! Tasting, you cold crash it to close to freezing. (72hr). Then carb it up or bring it to room temp and bottle. The og comes into play here also, keep it low 1.055 or so. If og is to high you can expect undesired flavors when trying to get good beer fast.

I use notty and the fullers strain, both fast fermenting and very flocculant. Notty is very forgiving so I just ferment it at ambient temp. As I like a load of esters when using the fullers strain ambient temp is fine and the big fruitness/esters from this strain help to hide any undesirable off flavours

I usually make my beers even lower gravity (around 1.040) so they're defiantely gonna be done in a few days

Heres a 4 week Dark Wheat

006.jpg

I think "Wheat Beers" are ideal for a quick turn round.
You dont have to wait till they clear as you want to taste some of the yeast.
I think I could push it down to 3 weeks, if needed

Back