American oak rum ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigd2657

Reaction score
Hi all.

Ive just put on a 2 can kit of youngs american oak rum ale. Has anybody brewed this and if so is it a nice beer or have i made a dreadful mistake.

Also i have had a Admirals revenge conditioning for about a month but looking at the reviews on this site, it doesnt seem to be upto standard.
Very low carbed and not much mouthfeel.

Distinct lack of body although i did brew long to 23 ltrs.

Thanks
Big d2657

I've seen favourable reviews for it on here, so much so that I have said kit ready and waiting for me to get on with brewing it. Plan to bottle it so I can have it from time to time rather than my draught/session type beers that I put in a pressure barrel.

Is it the Admiral's Reserve or the Nelson's Revenge that you have made up? They are both intended to be made up short: 32 and 36 pints respectively. I 've made up the Admiral's twice but only made it up to 15/16 litres and it is a nice pint. I guess that if you have made it up to 23 litres, then yours will be thinner, have less body and be weaker unless you added some extra malt.

I haven't tried the Youngs kit but have done the APA, IPA and RIA and they are among the best kits I have made. Let us know how yours turns out

Hi, will do, I'm due to rack off in 10 days time, then 2 days after bottle hopefully.
CheersCheers
Big d 2657

Latest posts

Back