best before dates on tins

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi all, i have been asked by another homebrewer on site who has just started brewing about the dates on tins of wort in kits, he has been given some from a friend of his which are 2 years over the best before date, he asked do i reckon they are usable since they are sealed in tins, i told him i wouldnt use them but i told him i would post a thread and see what others think, i tend to mostly do AG so if i have a kit i use it soon after getting it, any ideas?
thanks in advance

hi all, i have been asked by another homebrewer on site who has just started brewing about the dates on tins of wort in kits, he has been given some from a friend of his which are 2 years over the best before date, he asked do i reckon they are usable since they are sealed in tins, i told him i wouldnt use them but i told him i would post a thread and see what others think, i tend to mostly do AG so if i have a kit i use it soon after getting it, any ideas?
thanks in advance
I would try one of em.As long as there is no damage to the tins i don't see any great problem .
i have used out of date spraymalt although that might be different!!
Give one a bash and see how it comes out,nothing ventured!

thanks in advance
nothing wrong with the tin of out of date malt extract as I think they are vaccum sealed.its the out of date yeast you need more to worry about so to be on the safe side go to wilko and purchase a satchet of their yeast

Should be fine. The use by date on kits is limited by yeast viability, not deterioration of the wort.

I once had a discussion with one of the largest malt suppliers in the country.
They said that they'd happily put 10 years life on malt extract, but the good old EEC legislation says otherwise...
Brew it up - you'll be fine!

Interesting replies, I've always got a homebrew twang when brewing with malt extract which supposedly wouldn't happen if the extract was fresh. Would not out of date extract be even more prone to this?

I'd happily drink something made from an out out date kit but not sure it would taste it's best

i have made a brew before with a 3 year old kit.
and it turned out grate. I did how ever changed the yeast to a fresher one

Interesting replies, I've always got a homebrew twang when brewing with malt extract which supposedly wouldn't happen if the extract was fresh. Would not out of date extract be even more prone to this?
I'd happily drink something made from an out out date kit but not sure it would taste it's best

Hi!
How do you define "fresh" - do you mean "in date"? You surmise that "fresh" malt extract would not result in the homebrew "twang"; how do you know?
Let's face it - there are some people who religiously throw out food that goes 1 minute over the Sell By date, regardless of the quality. We have become mesmerised by this date, instead of using our own judgement.
As has been stated, it's the yeast that goes out of date first.

Hi!
How do you define "fresh" - do you mean "in date"? You surmise that "fresh" malt extract would not result in the homebrew "twang"; how do you know?
Let's face it - there are some people who religiously throw out food that goes 1 minute over the Sell By date, regardless of the quality. We have become mesmerised by this date, instead of using our own judgement.

I go along with this I have had stuff in my fridge which had pass it sell by date
me if it look ok and taste ok then I will eat it
its just the way I was raised waste not want not did me no harm

I read or heard somewhere that its the metal tins that produce a homebrew twang, I can't remember where but they were suggesting that if it was packed in plastic it wouldn't happen. I cannot confirm or deny this info.

Hi!

I'm just asking because I have read that twang comes from extract being stored too long and the replies indicate that this isn't the case. How do I know? I don't that's why I was asking the question

Latest posts

Back