Lautering

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To prevent ordinary people from understanding any process it has to be made "mysterious" and the easiest way to do this is to invent a new language.

The more training involved in a practice results in a much more complicated language and by using the language ordinary tradesmen are elevated above their peers. A simple example is the trade ("profession"?) of being a doctor where even the most simple of human ailments and injuries are given different names.

What to the ordinary person is a "bruise" becomes a "contusion" for a doctor and the simple transition of words allows them to act in a superior manner to the people who don't know what they are talking about.

However, there is another side of the coin and that is when doctors are talking to doctors. By using the terms agreed within their trade it is possible for them to talk in a form of shorthand with little or no chance of error; and that is why we try and use the correct terminology in brewing.

So:

"The process of steeping malted grains in hot water to remove the sugars produced by malting." becomes "Mashing."

"The liquid that I remove as a result of steeping malted grains in hot water to remove the sugars produced by malting." becomes "Wort."

"The frothy stuff that appears on the top of a fermenting brew." becomes known as a "Krausen."​

Every activity has its own private (and to the outsider "secret") language.

Does anyone know what the following are without looking them up? :nono:

"Fid"
"Monkey's Face" or "Monkey Plate"
:?:

I've got to go outside and make sure that the bubbly thing on top of the plastic thingies lid is still going "glub-glub". (Oops! Sorry, I think "glub-glub" is a technical term of my own invention!) :thumb:

What it means is ............. :lol: :lol:

Excellent post Dutto :thumb:

Mrs MQ is a communications manager at a medium sized charity, she often has to deal with large corporations and she was telleing me how she hates all the 'corporate-speak' that she has to deal with

...corporate speak....never heard so much ******** in all my life...
Touch Base
Liase
Blue sky...eh?
Some tit the other day used the word pertinent half a dozen times...got nowt sensible to say..
Then all those "teams" and "task forces" to "trouble shoot"and "committees "...such ****! All thick as cack. ..graphs and charts,kpi,5s,kaizen...done it over and over and over for the last 20 years...dross.

Cheers

Clint

...corporate speak....never heard so much ******** in all my life...
Touch Base
Liase
Blue sky...eh?
Some tit the other day used the word pertinent half a dozen times...got nowt sensible to say..
Then all those "teams" and "task forces" to "trouble shoot"and "committees "...such ****! All thick as cack. ..graphs and charts,kpi,5s,kaizen...done it over and over and over for the last 20 years...dross.

Cheers

Clint

I used to love it when a new phrase or buzz word came out and you could see people at meetings dying to use it.

"Just thought I'd give you the heads up" or "I saw that from the get go"

Did the whole Kaisen,5S, problem solving, lean manufacturing, dashboard for KPI meeting and glad I am now out of it!

At least there is nowt confusing about brewing.... )oh forgot what this thread was about again)

A mate and I were trudging along a desert road, on our way back to the office, after a particularly frustrating morning attempting to make a training video on a Gas Plant in Saudi Arabia.

It was a hot and sticky day with massive humidity and the temperature was in the mid-40's, so we were glad to see the Training Manager approaching in his car. He was an ex-USAAF Officer who spoke mainly in cliches and knew absolutely nothing about Gas Plants; which is probably why one of his favourite Management Speak phrases was "I run an open door policy."

On this particular day he drove up behind us in his tennis court on four wheels and was obviously going in our direction. He slowed down, lowered his side-window and said "Hiya fellers! How's it going?"

That was all my mate needed so he let rip ...

"The camera battery goes flat after ten minutes, we only have two
batteries, we only have one tape, the microphone
picks up every sound except the person who is speaking,
we don't have any lighting and the wind makes the camera shake
because we haven't got a tripod. Basically,
we've wasted the whole morning walking out to the burn-pit."​

"Right." the Manager replied, "Just remember fellers, if you have any problems my door is always open." and drove away.

All we could do was look at each other and crack out laughing!

Happy Days!

I love it when they bring in the latest fad or a new bit of kit they've thought up...and it doesn't work.....they then accuse the ops as being negative!!!

Cheers

Clint

It'd help if English terms were used. Are German homebrew books littered with terms like 'rinsing/sparging/foam in fermenter' etc? It's a bloody joke if you ask me and just folk trying to be clever.

30wv4b9.png

Back