Ebay Beer Keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done a little bit of research, it seems they are one use only and need to be sent back to be refilled or something?? sounds a bit of a faff.. think I'll just get more corny's instead.. just wish the smaller ones weren't dearer than the 19L ones.. hows that work??

them poly kegs can be used. you can open them with a oil filter wrench.
there was a load of them on the forums for sale about 5 years back and allot of fellas bought them and used them. think they were ��£5 each from memory.. ive two here that ive never used yet but hope to shortly.

@MyQul - yeah I've had a little look at those 5L kegs and they would be pretty good, not sure if I could somehow hook them up to a pump though rather than just use those little taps on the side. I know that seems a bit silly, but I'm building my own pub and just wanted it as realistic as possible so wanted all beer, cider, lager what ever I have to come through my pumps on my bar. not sure how do-able that is ??

@mickthetrick - that sounds quite promising then, I might be tempted as they are loads cheaper than corny's still not as good as �£5 each though :shock: gutted , wish I was here when that was happening..

I got a couple a while back. One's full in the shed now. You use a Grundy keg connector for gas in / beer out so unless you can lay your hands on one its more expense. I use a cheap party tap to serve. They are fairly easy to clean but at 32 quid very expensive. If you visit polykegs website they're much cheaper but you have to buy by the pallet.

The poly kegs listed on ebay are overpriced for what is supposed to be a single use keg, petainer do a similar one from 8 euros (if you buy 48) though you can't open it to fill (I got a free sample to try).

@MyQul - yeah I've had a little look at those 5L kegs and they would be pretty good, not sure if I could somehow hook them up to a pump though rather than just use those little taps on the side. I know that seems a bit silly, but I'm building my own pub and just wanted it as realistic as possible so wanted all beer, cider, lager what ever I have to come through my pumps on my bar. not sure how do-able that is ??

@mickthetrick - that sounds quite promising then, I might be tempted as they are loads cheaper than corny's still not as good as ���£5 each though :shock: gutted , wish I was here when that was happening..

It is possible. A forumite posted some piccies in the mini keg thread about how he'd made a kegorator using mini kegs

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57568&page=129 post 1288

i got my 2nd use polykegs for £8 a pop, the pro's are self evident cheap n easy sankey style keg ;)
hand tighten and loosen the screw on lid, and the synthetic spear is also stripable to a degree

the cons .. when full and moved the base/feet are prone to delamination damage, Its no biggy but can be a bit disconcerting when first viewed..
and the plastic sankey connector is a bit looser so a bit of gaffer tape to secure the coupler and stop it twisting from beerline or gasline movement, the SS coupler attachments on traditional kegs are much tighter..

had one with at least 10 brews thru without any major issues..

got 2 spare ive nort even used once if interested?? £8 each + actual pnp (same i paid)

My keg spot for serving can only accommodate 1 keg of this width in use at any one time..

I'd love em.. I'm just not sure I have room even for 1 :(.. I got my fridge last night and put my corny in and there is little room for anything else in there.. if I could get one in though I would have one.. although I've just looked at the mini keg kegerator and that's got the old grey matter working.

Ideally I want 2 lines coming from my kegerator, the main one going to my corny for my beer, and another which can be smaller for the wife's cider :)

so mini keg or poly keg, what ever I can get in there I'm happy with that :)

how big are those polykegs?

(£8 though is too much of a bargain to say no to... arrrgggh .. please hold on to them for me and I will let you know about BOTH by the end of today)

cheers

daz

20170228_205317.jpg

Too big to fit in that fridge I can only use one or perhaps 2 at a time as my keg store runs down the side of a washing machine in a tight gap.. but more space than in there ;)
10005268293_8b7c00788e.jpg

Wow that's pretty awesome ..
I'm sadly gonna have to say no to your kind offer for the kegs though :( really got no room for em .
Cheers though ;)

I'm thinking of maybe popping a few 5l kegs in there as they should fit ok??

I'd still like to hook em up to the faucet (like the minikeg kegerator someone showed me the other day)

I don't suppose anyone knows where I can get the adapter things to hook them up do you? (like in the picture)

I know these are home made, but I was wondering if there is anywhere selling them (or at best a shopping list and a place in the UK that will have all the bits)

Cheers all..

5826711856_534af1a387_z.jpg

make a pot of good coffee or tea, save the beer,, and google instructables etc also check out diy counter pressure bottle fillers as they too utilise a similar beer/gas pipe within pipe solutions

corny posts will be the costly aspects, but make sence when used alongside corny kegs.

also consider adding straps to retain the spear/bung seal otherwise a lil overpressure could pop the spears..

the trick involves a large diameter to small diameter adaptor fitting and fettling the small diameter tube stop from within the fitting. this allows you to insert small diameter tube for the beer pick up
into the centre of a larger tube to seal with the keg bung and provide co2

easiest ive seen uses beerline and jg fittings 3/8" tube to feed co2 and seal with the bung, 3/16" line

for beer out fed into a modded 3/8" to 3/16" jg adaptor a 3/8" equal t to join gass in and beer out above a short 3/8" stub and long in keg 3/16" dip tube..

be prepared to screw up a few jg reduces modding to remove the internal pipe stop while retaining seals on the microline.. google a few tech drawings of the fittings etc ..
(brass compression fittings are a doddle to mod in comparison, simply drill it out.. )

slow manual turning of a 3/16" drill bit from the 3/8" opening to shave out the tube stop in a JG adaptor may work, ??

check out jb-weld or waterweld for an epoxy seal all solution if needed ;)

good luck..

Leyland homebrew sell all the parts you could ever need for mini kegs

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back