Centennial Brown Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to be partial to a bottle of dog now and again but had to be ice cold but will definitely give this a go.

MyQuls comments reminded me of that well known Newcastle law firm "Hadaway and Sh!te" t'was a fine brew in its day (beloved by my Late father in Law several time a night) but not so good now!

I used to love it, but it's just a chemical abortion these days.

I spent today helping Leo from Newcastle Brewing make their Ouseburn Brown Ale and I now have two bottles of this to try, just opening the first!

Is that the Ouseburn Brown Ale? I've not tried that one, let me know what it's like.

Last edited:
I brewed this yesterday, use BIAB method & thought i'd adjusted to 14L. But I undershot OG by about 10 points. I normally get quite a high efficiency but only managed 70%. The sample tasted quite bitter so I took a quick decision and added a jar of honey hoping to off set it.

I didnt really change anything in my process except thinking about it afterwards the sparge water was probably close to boiling point & my mash volume was slightly less than normal could this have made a big difference to OG.

I've just bottled another batch. I also missed my efficiency but it's only a few points difference, so didn't sweat it. Three week in FV and a week in the bottle. Tasted one last night as a test... already very good.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I am hoping to start off doing AG and this seems a great beer to start with. I can only do 5lt batches at the moment do i just half everything. And if when my new equipment comes how to i upgrade to 23 its

Centennial Brown Ale
This was beautiful.

Batch Size (L): 10.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048
Final Gravity (FG): 1.007
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.43 %
Bitterness (IBU): 40.5 (Average)

Grain Bill
----------------
1.500 kg Maris Otter Malt (79.37%)
0.110 kg Brown Sugar, Light (5.82%)
0.110 kg Crystal 40 (5.82%)
0.100 kg Wheat Malt (5.29%)
0.070 kg Chocolate (3.7%)

Hop Bill
----------------
7.0 g Centennial Leaf (13.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
10.0 g Centennial Leaf (13.5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
10.0 g Centennial Leaf (13.5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
10.0 g Centennial Leaf (13.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (1 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
2.5 g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Mash at 67°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with Ale Yeast
Hi Clibit, I'm gonna brew your Centennial brown ale. I was just wondering what ale yeast you would suggest? I usually use dry yeast. And is that just normal brown suger? And does it go into the mash with the grain.? Thanks for your help. Cheers.

Hi Clibit, I'm gonna brew your Centennial brown ale. I was just wondering what ale yeast you would suggest? I usually use dry yeast. And is that just normal brown suger? And does it go into the mash with the grain.? Thanks for your help. Cheers.

Brewing sugars go in around 10 minutes from the end of the boil.

At 85% attenuation, I guess US 05, that would be a safe choice and US 05 makes for a hop forward beer and tolerates warmer ferments than an English Ale yeast.

At 85% attenuation, I guess US 05, that would be a safe choice and US 05 makes for a hop forward beer and tolerates warmer ferments than an English Ale yeast.
OK, thanks for that. Does that mean I can ferment at 20 instead of 18 cause my celler is exactly 20 degrees and I've got no fermentation fridge. Cheers

OK, thanks for that. Does that mean I can ferment at 20 instead of 18 cause my celler is exactly 20 degrees and I've got no fermentation fridge. Cheers
20C sounds good for US 05! Should be a nice beer.

Hi, i cant get crystal 40 here in Germany. Is Weyermann caramunich 2 (110 - 130 EBC) a good alternative? Cheers.
It may be a little darker in colour, but that won't matter much in a Brown Ale.

I adapted this recipe to brew with extract and it turned out fantastic, so thought I'd share my extract version:

1 x Muntons Craft Your Own Maris Otter LME 1.5K
1KG Light DME
220g Light Brown Sugar
220g Light Crystal Malt
200g Dextrin malt or Carapils
140g Chocolate Malt
100g Dextrose (Corn Sugar)

Hops:
10g Centennial @ 30mins
20g Centennial @ 15mins
20g Centennial @ 5mins
20g Centennial @ Hopstand 5 mins 80 degrees
Yeast - Crossmyloof Five (American Ale Yeast)

If you're interested in seeing the method, I posted a video on my YouTube channel here:

Centennial Brown Ale (Extract)

Latest posts

Back