Angry Chopper English American Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonh82

Landlord.
Reaction score
This beer sits someone between an English and an American pale ale. It's English in strength but with a hop profile more associated with an American beer.

It's turned out really well with a strong hop flavour and aroma. I would say the chinook has dominated over the brambling cross. The malt base is good but this is the first beer I've made without maris otter as the main base malt and I'm surprised at what a difference it makes. The Irish pale malt is very nice but definitely cleaner and less malty/toasty than maris otter. If I brewed it again I would probably go back to using maris otter.

Title: Angry Chopper Ale

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: British Golden Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 25.1 liters (fermentor volume)
Efficiency: 89% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.045
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (alternate): 4.59%
IBU (tinseth): 35.94
SRM (ebcmorey): 10.69

FERMENTABLES:
3.2 kg - Ireland - Ale Malt (77.1%)
0.5 kg - German - Munich Light (12%)
0.2 kg - Torrified Wheat (4.8%)
0.25 kg - United Kingdom - Amber (6%)

HOPS:
5 g - Admiral, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: Boil for 70 min, IBU: 8.42
30 g - Bramling Cross, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 6, Use: Boil for 13 min, IBU: 8.5
30 g - Chinook, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 13.5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 8.55
20 g - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 5.81
35 g - Bramling Cross, Type: Pellet, AA: 6, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 99 °C, IBU: 1.67
30 g - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at °C, IBU: 2.99
35 g - Bramling Cross, Type: Pellet, AA: 6.6, Use: Dry Hop for 14 days
50 g - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.5, Use: Dry Hop for 14 days
35 g - Admiral, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: Dry Hop for 14 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 67 C, Time: 60 min

YEAST:
White Labs - Burton Ale Yeast WLP023
Attenuation (custom): 76%
Fermentation Temp: 20 C

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name:
Ca2: 130
Mg2: 4
Na: 24
Cl: 151
SO4: 49
HCO3: 20

Wow that is a lot of hops. I am not surprised the Chinook dominate there. I usually use it as my bittering hop for American Pales although my mate has got it to use as a dry hop. I must try it out in this way at some stage.

Wow that is a lot of hops. I am not surprised the Chinook dominate there. I usually use it as my bittering hop for American Pales although my mate has got it to use as a dry hop. I must try it out in this way at some stage.

Most of my hoppy beers get 200g+ of hops. If it is hoppy I like to really know about it!

With chinook I also usually use it for bittering American style beers but I wanted to try out some bittering varieties as aroma hops, hence the admiral chucked in as well. It's a nice beer and you get the dank pineyness from the Chinook coming through really well along with the citrus flavour. I find chinook leaves a lingering bitterness in your mouth that is quite characteristic. I'm sure it isn't everyone's cup of tea but I like it.

Most of my hoppy beers get 200g+ of hops. If it is hoppy I like to really know about it!

With chinook I also usually use it for bittering American style beers but I wanted to try out some bittering varieties as aroma hops, hence the admiral chucked in as well. It's a nice beer and you get the dank pineyness from the Chinook coming through really well along with the citrus flavour. I find chinook leaves a lingering bitterness in your mouth that is quite characteristic. I'm sure it isn't everyone's cup of tea but I like it.

I will definitely give it ago in one of the next couple of brews!

Like the look of this. Looking to do a bit of a session ale as the last 4 brews have come out 6% plus :-?

Yep, that happens to me too...I have change my efficency rating and therefore have been able to cut down on malts to bring it closer to the 5% I am looking for?

Yep, that happens to me too...I have change my efficency rating and therefore have been able to cut down on malts to bring it closer to the 5% I am looking for?

This was meant to be something like 4.2% but I ended up getting 89% brewhouse efficiency which is a first for me and added an extra 0.5% to the abv.

I'm enjoying a pint of it now. One thing I really like about the Burton yeast is that it flocculates really well. It sticks to the bottom of the bottle almost as well as Nottingham yeast but it has a bit more flavour to it.

This was meant to be something like 4.2% but I ended up getting 89% brewhouse efficiency which is a first for me and added an extra 0.5% to the abv.

I'm enjoying a pint of it now. One thing I really like about the Burton yeast is that it flocculates really well. It sticks to the bottom of the bottle almost as well as Nottingham yeast but it has a bit more flavour to it.

I will start using some liquid yeast once I have a decent plan in place to be able to harvest and reuse in the next brew etc. At the moment the cost per brew is putting me off them.

Latest posts

Back