Joes Ancient Orange Mead

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owenblueboy

Reaction score
Hi

I have been brewing since October and recently stumbled across Joes Ancient Orange Mead.

I made it as per original recipe, however as an oversight I used Allinson Easy Bake (Rapid Rise) Yeast, rather then just normal Bread Yeast. I started the brew 2 days ago, and there has been plenty of activity (airlock bubbling nicely). I read somewhere a while back that they did not recommend using this type of yeast so I am slightly concerned - albeit I can no longer find this post.

Can anyone shed some light as to why there might be an issue with this Yeast? Flavours, fermentation stalling etc? Due to the activity in the demijohn and airlock should I be concerned?

Easy bake yeast ingredients - Yeast (Saccharomyces Cerevisiae), Emulsifier: Sorbitan Monostearate, Flour Treatment Agent: Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)

"Normal" bread yeast ingredients - Yeast (Saccharomyces Cerevisiae), Emulsifier: Sorbitan Monostearate

I left a few inches of headspace in the demijohn whilst initial fermentation takes place and plan to top up with water to make up to 5 gal when the frenzy has stopped - I have considered adding Yeast Nutrient and possibly normal bread yeast at this point to - would this be necessary?

Any help would be much appreciated, as I plan to leave it brew for 2 months, and would be disappointed to find it spoiled.

Cheers
owenblueboy

first i would of used a proper Mead yeast and second you need nutrient to keep the yeast going , depends on the amount of honey you have used on amount of nutrient and how long it takes to ferment . you will just have to see what happens then deal with it at the time, but i would gradually add some nutrient ,just beware of foaming when you add it.

The original recipe I found suggest to use bread yeast to keep maintain its ancient status as such. Reviews of said recipe are superb so was hoping for similar success. I'll add the nutrient I thinks though 😀

The original recipe I found suggest to use bread yeast to keep maintain its ancient status as such. Reviews of said recipe are superb so was hoping for similar success. I'll add the nutrient I thinks though ������

I made it as per the recipe a few years ago and it's pretty bloody good. I usually open a bottle at Christmas and it's great.

What is the recipe for the mead please.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

first i would of used a proper Mead yeast and second you need nutrient to keep the yeast going , depends on the amount of honey you have used on amount of nutrient and how long it takes to ferment . you will just have to see what happens then deal with it at the time, but i would gradually add some nutrient ,just beware of foaming when you add it.

I'm making this as per recipe, 2 months on and still bubbling with no yeast nutrient. I read that the raisins act as the yeast nutrient?

I believe the raisins are there to provide tannin to the brew 😀 I topped the headspace of the demijohn up with water and some dissolved yeast nutrient although don't believe it's that necessary as wasn't part of the original recipe. Very much looking forward to the end result 😀

Love the sound of this so will give it a whirl next time I have a free hour or so.

Also like how the recipe was written up, amusing guy.

Latest posts

Back