Not Middle Earth (New Zealand Pale Ale)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have called this a New Zealand Pale Ale because I have used New Zealand hops, but the grain bill is standard Uk/European. I don't know if there are specific New Zealand grains as the ones I see on New Zealand homebrew shops seem to be the same as ours over here MO, Golden Promise and the crystal and other malts all look the same.

Anyway here is the recipe:

This is my Brother in Laws invention and uses 4.4kg MO and 400g Carapils and that is it. Hop profile all New Zealand hops...25g Waimea at 60 mins, 15g Motueka and 15g wai iti hops at both 15 and 5 and then 20g of each at Flameout. I got 22l from it but I did a lot of Vorlaufing and that might have affected the final OG which was reading at pitch above 7% according to the refractometer I am doing a hydrometer reading so will check when the bubbles die down. Pitched US 05 at around 22C. Hydrometer reading says 1060 so if it gets down to 1010 with be around 6.45% which is higher than expecting. Look of wort at pitch is as expected given the grain bill very light yellow/straw. Taste at pitch is sweet, smooth but not especially thick or long creamy feel with a background of bitterness, but not overly bitter and certainly not lasting. This has a fresh clean bitterness with malt in the background and some lemony/limey sweetness..refreshing. I will really be interested to see what happens to this as it is really nice at this stage 😀

The details

4.4kg MO
400g Carapils
25g Waimea at 60 mins
15g Motueka and 15g wai iti 15
15g Motueka and 15g wai iti 5
20g Motueka and 20g wai iti 5

Profloc tablet at 15
US-05 pitched at 22C

I don't know how established the style is but I had heard that a lot of NZ pale ales are similar to APAs/AIPAs but with NZ hops and a fairly hefty dose of crystal malt leaving a sweet finish.

I've not used any NZ hops yet but I hear good things about them. The good ones seem to be hard to get or expensive.

Hope this turns out well for you.

I don't know how established the style is but I had heard that a lot of NZ pale ales are similar to APAs/AIPAs but with NZ hops and a fairly hefty dose of crystal malt leaving a sweet finish.

I've not used any NZ hops yet but I hear good things about them. The good ones seem to be hard to get or expensive.

Hope this turns out well for you.

Thanks. I am interested to taste these hops as I have used Nelson Sauvin and not liked them...they are named after the white wine and taste like white wine. I just don't like white wine!

As Lent is over I have had one of these for the first time. The beer was clear and straw in colour and held its head throughout. The taste was different to what I expected having used many American hopped IPAs. The aroma was subtle and malty and the taste was very much like a german beer which actually is not surprising given that these hops have a Noble linage. There were some hints of lemon/lime and more bitterness than I thought given the IBUs were below 50. A lovely clean finish and a nice beer but not in the same vein as an American IPA/APA.

4.4kg MO
400g Carapils
25g Waimea at 60 mins

Profloc tablet at 15
US-05 pitched at 22C

Hi - nice receipe, but for myself I'm missing some details. Could you explain these in addition?

1. What is the amount of spill water?
2. Is there additional water?
If so, what is the relationship between main and secondary casting?

3. What means the 15 and the 5 at
PHP:
?

4. What is Profloc tablet?
5. What is the value of the original wort?
Sorry - I'm German, so I have some problems with abbreviations and special terms.

Some months ago I was at New Zealand and I bought NZ hops for tasty NZ IPA in the old world. Hope you can help!

Thank you a lot in advance for your answer!

Best
Radulph

Looks good Wai iti is one of my favourite hops but its fairly subtle, no idea what Motueka is like.

Motueka, I think, is a standard hop for NZ beers, very fruity, lemony, more than Saaz.

Looks good Wai iti is one of my favourite hops but its fairly subtle, no idea what Motueka is like.

I made a Kiwi Pale Ale using just Wai iti hops trying to replicate the McCashin Families Stoke Bomber Kiwi Pale Ale, turned out not to bad, though slightly sweeter than the original. Just made a Summer Rye with no other hops apart from Motueka, 75 g added at whirlpool for 20 minutes. Conditioning in the secondary at the moment but tasting very nice.

I don't know if there are specific New Zealand grains as the ones I see on New Zealand homebrew shops seem to be the same as ours over here
Gladfield is the malster of choice here in New Zealand with an excellent selection of fresh tasting malts and sometimes quite unique malts.

http://www.gladfieldmalt.co.nz/

I use their American Ale malt as a base with about 10% of their supernova malt in my NZPA's.
If you ever see Riwaka hops anywhere... buy them!

I've loved Nelson Sauvin. I dry hopped with Citra and it was some of the best ale I've ever tasted. Tried Rakau a couple of times. It has a good peach/apricot flavour but I thought it needed backing up with other hops to broaden the taste.

I've loved Nelson Sauvin. I dry hopped with Citra and it was some of the best ale I've ever tasted. Tried Rakau a couple of times. It has a good peach/apricot flavour but I thought it needed backing up with other hops to broaden the taste.
What hops would you suggest with Rakau? I have them in my cupboard waiting their turn along with Jester...both hops that I haven't tried.

What hops would you suggest with Rakau? I have them in my cupboard waiting their turn along with Jester...both hops that I haven't tried.

Tricky question! I'd probably just use Chinook because it seems to always give me good beer. It has a richness which should complement the lighter flavours from Rakau.
Looking through my notebook I saw my impressions of Motueka. I'll have to get some more to try again since I seemed to have impressed my self.

Latest posts

Back