Marmalade Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tau

Landlord.
Reaction score
Was planning an orange wine and thought I'd avoid the mess and use thin cut marmalade instead. I had some success using it in an orange mead, so thought lets give it a go as a wine.

2 jars thin cut marmalade (450g jars lidl seville oranges used) no nasties in. Dissolved in warm water on stove.

260g sultanas blended (250 wanted but more came out of pack.)

450g sugar dissolved in boiling water.

1 tsp of wilkos yeast nutrient (as has extra minerals)
1/2 tsp of citric acid (as some in marm')
2 tsp of pectolase as pectin has probably been added to the marmalade to help it set.
Harris yeast (18%)

Estimated og 1089 which gives 13% abv at an fg of 0.990, after racking topping up around 12% which is where I'm aiming. Forgot tannin so added 1/2 tsp of chestnut based tannin from wilkos.

Was planning an orange wine and thought I'd avoid the mess and use thin cut marmalade instead. I had some success using it in an orange mead, so thought lets give it a go as a wine.

2 jars thin cut marmalade (450g jars lidl seville oranges used) no nasties in. Dissolved in warm water on stove.

260g sultanas blended (250 wanted but more came out of pack.)

450g sugar dissolved in boiling water.

1 tsp of wilkos yeast nutrient (as has extra minerals)
1/2 tsp of citric acid (as some in marm')
2 tsp of pectolase as pectin has probably been added to the marmalade to help it set.
Harris yeast (18%)

Estimated og 1089 which gives 13% abv at an fg of 0.990, after racking topping up around 12% which is where I'm aiming. Forgot tannin so added 1/2 tsp of chestnut based tannin from wilkos.

Tau if you look at Morrisons they have large tins of Marmalade orange pulp on the jam isle, its just pulped and chopped seville oranges. You have to add sugar to make Marmalade. Look for Ma Made at Tesco 850g of ready cut orange for £2 use it with a carton of pure orange juice , Try using a sherry yeast and make it med or sweet, The sherry yeast makes gorgeous dessert sipping wine. I also add the zest of an orange or satsumas any thing in the orange line, thats been dried and browned in the oven, gives intense orange flavour i then fortify with a few ounces of cheap brandy .

I'm not going to add anymore to it yet, want to see the results after full fermentation. There is a good amount of zest/peel in there. If I have to add more orange flavour or back sweeten will stick to same brand of marmalade, but for future reference will look out for ma made. Orange juice itself really adds little if anything to orange wine I find the rind and zest to be the most important. 900g thin cut marmalade Lidls 98p :)

Racked off must today and added an extra 100g of sugar to pump up the volume (abv), can taste stong orange flavour after 10 days fermenting on the must.

Racked again tonight, good orange flavour didn't need the 1/2 tsp of citric in it, currently dry to taste good so far. Racked onto a camden and then added 1 tsp of bentonite stirred and will leave until clear.

Racked again tonight, good orange flaour didn't need the 1/2 tsp of citric in it, current;y dry to taste good so far. Racked onto a camden and then added 1 tsp of bentonite stirred and will leave until clear.

I was going to mention the spelling errors but this being a homebrew site I presume you were doing some tasting whilst racking.:lol:

I fermented some orange juice last year as someone asked if it was possible.
It turned out bland, not much taste at all. I was thinking of adding some marmalade next time.

The cider I'm drinking right now had a jar of apple sauce in it. It's not bad.

Have bottled this, intial taste not great then orange comes through and aftertaste is like alcoholic orange juice. No need to add citric acid as I did, theres plenty in the marmalade, mines slightly too acidic hoping will improve in the bottle, although drinkable in the summer, not a winter drink. Wondering if you even need to add grape juice to this, may well work without it.

Latest posts

Back