Coopers stout - will this work?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YouFUMS

Reaction score
In the six months since I started home brewing, I've done 3 kits. Young s American IPA which went down a treat (I've got just 3 bottles left), Dragons Speciale Kentish bitter (a beerworx kit) that I'm currently drinking and just seems to get better each time I pour one, and my last one was another beerworx kit, Spire IPA, which has been conditioning for 3 weeks and first impressions are that it is going to be a great summer/garden drink.
All the kits had full ingredients so I brewed to the instructions provided.
For my next brew I have a 1.7kg can of Cooper Stout, which allows me to add my own fermentables and experiment a little.
So, what I'm thinking of adding is; 500g extra dark spraymalt, 650g malt extract and 450g of molasses.
I'd really like to hear whether you more experienced brewers think this will work? Are there enough 'sugars' in there, 1.6kg.
Also, what volume should I be brewing to? I was thinking 20litre.
Was also considering adding some fuggles hops when it's fermented out, but this will depend on how it's tasting at the time.
Any input much appreciated, as I'm still on a steep learning curve with this.
:thumb:

450 grams of molasses might be a bit much, I used a whole can of treacle and was very strong tasting for about 6 months after the brew, has conditioned out a bit now but was overpowering.

Other than that go for it, but mind either fit a blow off tube or use a very big FV cause the fermentation of these kits is volcanic!

450 grams of molasses might be a bit much, I used a whole can of treacle and was very strong tasting for about 6 months after the brew, has conditioned out a bit now but was overpowering.

Other than that go for it, but mind either fit a blow off tube or use a very big FV cause the fermentation of these kits is volcanic!

Thanks sdt7618, I opted for molasses because of its bitter/sweet taste, and 450g doesn't seem much, but I'll consider dropping the amount in light of what you experienced. Can I ask what volume you brewed?
Also, I have read before that it's a lively fermentation, so I'll definitely keep a close eye on it.
Thanks again

Yes, drop the molasses back, maybe 200g. It's actually hard to make a good stout from extract, though the Cooper's Toucan (two cans - stout and dark ale) is quite popular here.

I agree, hold back on the treacle. I added half a can to this kit and it wasn't subtle. I've done this kit twice. Once to 19L with 500g dark DME and 1kg brew enhancer, with the half tin of black treacle. The other time to 18L with 1kg dark DME, 1kg BE, 250g lactose and finished with some chocolate essence. Both were winners after a bit of conditioning.

In the six months since I started home brewing, I've done 3 kits. Young s American IPA which went down a treat (I've got just 3 bottles left), Dragons Speciale Kentish bitter (a beerworx kit) that I'm currently drinking and just seems to get better each time I pour one, and my last one was another beerworx kit, Spire IPA, which has been conditioning for 3 weeks and first impressions are that it is going to be a great summer/garden drink.
All the kits had full ingredients so I brewed to the instructions provided.
For my next brew I have a 1.7kg can of Cooper Stout, which allows me to add my own fermentables and experiment a little.
So, what I'm thinking of adding is; 500g extra dark spraymalt, 650g malt extract and 450g of molasses.
I'd really like to hear whether you more experienced brewers think this will work? Are there enough 'sugars' in there, 1.6kg.
Also, what volume should I be brewing to? I was thinking 20litre.
Was also considering adding some fuggles hops when it's fermented out, but this will depend on how it's tasting at the time.
Any input much appreciated, as I'm still on a steep learning curve with this.
:thumb:
Dont put that much mole arses its very dominant i spoiled a stout with going over the top with it last year in my opinion 100g is plenty the other ingredients are great,i have also been told a couple of cups of very strong coffee wouldnt hurt. just dont get excited with the mole arses :thumb:

@YouFUMS
First the Coopers stout kit reviews are here and its worth looking through to see what other members have done.
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/sh...ad.php?t=17817
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/sh...ad.php?t=17818
Second Black Treacle or molasses has its own distinctive taste, so unless you are a big fan its best to be sparing with it imo. Dark Muscavado sugar has some of the taste of Black Treacle but is more subtle. I use it in my Coopers stouts the recipe for which is
Kit can and yeast (no need whatsoever to change the yeast)
500g dark DME
500g Golden Syrup
100g Dark Muscavodo Sugar
4 measures Strong Espresso Coffee (I use Italian Roast from my coffee machine - but DON'T use instant)
Brewed to 19 litres
OG 1.047, FG 1.011 approx.
Best in a PB with 90g sugar to get a lovely creamy head.
Can be drunk young too.

My other tip is to brew short (as I do) since this concentrates the flavours, and if its the Original you are doing it keeps the brew in the FV since this kit can produce a large krausen which may try to 'escape'. The Irish doesn't seem to come with a large krausen and so this isn't a problem.

Thanks everyone for your input.
I'm going to limit the molasses usage to 150g.
So what I will have is:-
Whatever is in the kit can
650g jar of Malt extract From Holman and Barrett
500g extra dark spraymalt
150g molasses
Coffee???. Maybe.

I'll get this on the go for the weekend, all being well.

Go for it, if you enjoy treacle you'll get a nice brew with 250g if you wanted to try it, I've done that kit twice with a kilo of dark DME and 500g Demerara sugar as well, it was as strong as I'd dare take it without spoiling the overall balance but a lovely brew nonetheless. Still got about a dozen bottles in the garage and I'd do a third batch again in the future to be fair.

I've got a Coopers Stout to do and although I've already got the treacle I'm thinking of dropping it. I think I'll go with the kit plus 1kg BE, 100g dark muscavado sugar, 1tsp of a good quality instant coffee and 1tsp of coco power. I think that going beyond this amount of fermentables and you're looking at your Xmas Stout as it'll take that long to come into its own.

Latest posts

Back