Mango IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colonel Porter

Reaction score
Folks,

I'm looking at doing a mango IPA using mango juice - finely pulped mango from what I can tell.

Any advice on volumes of juice for a 40 pint brew? I really want the mango to come through. Am planning on adding it at the priming stage (or just before depending on sugar content).

Thanks in advance.

Col P.

Folks,

I'm looking at doing a mango IPA using mango juice - finely pulped mango from what I can tell.

Any advice on volumes of juice for a 40 pint brew? I really want the mango to come through. Am planning on adding it at the priming stage (or just before depending on sugar content).

Thanks in advance.

Col P.
Looking at doing one later in the year. will add frozen mango to the Fermenting FV for around 5 days before racking and bottling.

I brewed a mango IPA a while ago. Pretty sure I used four of the tins of mango puree that Sainsburys sell cheap in the Indian food aisle (circa £1.70 for a very large tin IIRC).

Tasted great, a nice mango flavour. I did find that the fermentation stripped a lot of the sweetness from the mango though (and I added it all in the secondary). If I did it again I'd use a little flavouring to bulk up the profile.

I noticed that Costco have big bags of frozen chopped mango - might be perfect for this sort of thing...

Just a personal preference but i would go frozen with any fruit:thumb:

Tinned is apparently very safe bacteria wise. But I used frozen. Threw in the mango a little after flame out along with the rest of the saaz hops.
Sadly I left a lot behind in the colander as the hop debris was tricky to separate from them.
A slightly disappointing 1.042, but I'm hoping the chunks of mango will slowly release more sugars whilst decaying in the fv?
I did notice on brewers friend builder 500g of mango only shifted .2 more units, maybe it's too hard to call with lumps over mashed.
Who knows, but it's all about trying something new and learning from errors that makes beer making fun.
I'll be dry hopping and another additional 500gs of mango after a week providing the us pale CML yeast does a good job.

Got mine done yesterday,not IPA more APA i guess. Will sling the mango in around day 5 along with dry hops. Hit 1.042 which was my expected OG,should give me around 4.4% when finished:thumb:

Back