recarbonate a flat beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steviewell

Reaction score
Hi all

I primed my last batch with priming drops, so I'm fairly sure I've dosed correctly (in fact if anything, pretty heavily - 2x prime drops per 500ml bottle - a chocolate IPA). They went into my brew fridge at 20°C post bottling for 2 weeks, but I noticed some of the bottles at the back of the fridge were a little cold. I'm thinking poor heat distribution in the fridge when its packed with bottles. Anyway, I've now chilled them all for a week now (2°C conditioning), just took one of the suspect ones out to try it and its pretty flat.

Could I reheat them all to 20C for another week or so and then go back to the 2°C conditioning? Would this help or is it too late?

I'm sure this will have been posted elsewhere, or similar sorry, did look but I cant find anything that specifically suggests its worth "reheating" after a week of cool conditioning.

that's interesting Chub, I cant imagine why it would affect. Although in my case it was just a fairly small percentage of chocolate malt (150g) mixed in with 500g crystal and 3kg pale. (and if i don't say so myself tastes magic, even if it is flat as a pancake!) :lol:

Turn the bottles upside down for 3 days.
Honestly worked a treat with my under primed Pliny

Doesn't excessive cold force the co2 into the beer more so to speak? I had this with a keg out in my shed during the winter which was nicely primed after a couple of weeks in the house but after moving outside the constant low temps seemed to make the beer flat until I reprimed with a cartridge. Why are you conditioning at 2 for an ipa?

Cheers

Clint

Yes put them in the warm. Not sure it needs to be conditioned at 2c though. Cooler temperatures makes beer seem flatter

+1 for this.

One recent brew I did was almost completely flat when drunk from my garage at about 11-13° earlier this year (and I have read that 13° is the perfect temperature for beer) but when left in the house to warm up to nearer room temperature it had a good head and fizz which held to the bottom of the glass.

The colder the beer the greater the ability to absorb CO2 and retain it in solution.
So if you have equally primed and carbonated a batch of bottles and then serve one at 20*C it will be more 'fizzy' than one served at 2*C. That's because the CO2 is still there but reluctant to come out of solution at the lower temperature until the beer is warmed up.
I guess that's one of the reasons why lager is primed at higher rates than ales to compensate for the lower serving temperature.

Never heard of that! Assume its to kick the yeast back through from the bottom up. Just 3 days upside down in the warm and then back into the cold condition?

open one and put the contents into a pet bottle give it a shake and put it some were warm. If after a few days it starts to go hard then you will know you ale has enough yeast to carbonate, then bring your other bottles into the warm, shake them and leave warm for two weeks, then back cold to condition, a few days in the warmth is not enough. carbonation drops are a waste of money there only solidified sugar . Table sugar is just as good and ten times cheaper.

Back