What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a stout too, Made to 20ltr used 1.8kg dark liquid malt from a Shamrock Irish Velvet stout kit, 1kg of extra dark spray malt. 200g of extra dark belgian candi rock, 200g Simpsons and 150g double roasted malt DRM steeped in 4 pints boiling water. will add 150g of lactose after fermention when putting into second FV aiming for approx 5.10 ABV :thumb:
How did your stout turn out as mine although only three weeks young has a lovely mouth feel with a coffee note in the background but very morish and almost black in colour.Hard to resist to be honest so trying to avoid the garage.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

It's about the yeast character though. NEIPAs usually use either the Vermont strain or a fruity English yeast, neither of which are usually high attenuators. I researched the yeast quite a lot for this beer.
Definitely interesting and shall definitely delve a bit further.Every day is a school day 👍

Bottled my Armadillo (top) and Mosaic (bottom) SMaSH's today.

Both look and taste great but the Mosaic is so fruity so pips it imo. 😁
9477c8c7215fdc8d94c8fecb23cc8460.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Both look and taste great but the Mosaic is so fruity so pips it imo. :-)

Oi loikes Aaarmadillo's! Crunchy on the outside, saarft on the inside.

Unlike dime bars, remember the advert?

Both look and taste great but the Mosaic is so fruity so pips it imo. 😁
9477c8c7215fdc8d94c8fecb23cc8460.jpg

Either that's a tiny glass or you have massive hands!

How did your stout turn out as mine although only three weeks young has a lovely mouth feel with a coffee note in the background but very morish and almost black in colour.Hard to resist to be honest so trying to avoid the garage.

Dont know yet its still conditioning in bottle have not tried it yet, got loads of stuff to drink. I have approx twenty different beers to chose from at any one time , brewing Oktoberfest for the last eight weeks waiting for one to finish, then going to stick a Woodfords double can sundew kit i bought cheap on the tesco close down,straight back on the yeast. WLP820 Oktoberfest cake. (a fantastic lager yeast )Also doing a Woodfords Bure Gold at the min. Then doing a 40 ltr Scottish malty heavy using the WLPO28 Edinburgh Scottish Ale Yeast. i use these top class yeasts a few times and then throw cheap kits on top of them makes great kit beer.

Dont know yet its still conditioning in bottle have not tried it yet, got loads of stuff to drink. I have approx twenty different beers to chose from at any one time , brewing Oktoberfest for the last eight weeks waiting for one to finish, then going to stick a Woodfords double can sundew kit i bought cheap on the tesco close down,straight back on the yeast. WLP820 Oktoberfest cake. (a fantastic lager yeast )Also doing a Woodfords Bure Gold at the min. Then doing a 40 ltr Scottish malty heavy using the WLPO28 Edinburgh Scottish Ale Yeast. i use these top class yeasts a few times and then throw cheap kits on top of them makes great kit beer.

Are you supplying Tesco by any chance....:whistle:

Are you supplying Tesco by any chance....:whistle:

I grow all my own fruit and veg , have 30ft poly tunnel,(toms peppers ,chillis , aubergines etc ) grow all types of veg in raised beds, fruit from Apples Pears Cherries Plums, Tay , Logan.Goose, black and raspberries. I am picking English Strawberries now, i dont keep chickens and ducks no more , since my father died, i spend 3-4 of the winter months in India and dont have any one to look after them, I have at this minute 300 bottles of country wines in rack , i dont do kits and what do they call it errr WOWS. Beer wise i can look at 40 crates of 20 500ml bottles in each and 20 5ltr mini kegs. . :thumb:

I did a variant of the Belgian Golden Strong Ale from the Greg Hughes book with some WLP530 harvested from a Patersbier I bottled on Wednesday. First time I've rinsed and reused yeast and if it works I'll be doing it every time from now on given how easy it is.

A partial mash American wheat based on the Greg Hughes. .it's chilling in the sink now...overshot my boil volume by about 3 litres as I tried dunk sparging so I just boiled up the excess in a separate pan....
Just pitched at 26°c..so at the top end. Used CML wheat yeast which is good up to 28 so should be quite funky.
According to brewers friend I should have hit 1053 for the og but only managed 1046. It's hopped with citra and smells really good. As before I tipped all the break material into the fv. This is settling quickly leaving a crystal clear wort.
Blow off tube fitted!

Last edited:
Not quite today anymore, but Westmalle Tripel clone. Probably my beer of the moment. I shook up parts of my process and ended up with a big reduction in efficiency, by about 10%. So I lost about 1% ABV, to 7.5%. No big deal, just playing and learning. Tripel has probably been my favorite tipple for quite a few years, so a bit surprising it took me so long to get round to brewing one. Think I'm just happy learning the ropes. I have big hopes with this brew though; really looking forward to it. Used actual tripel yeast (M31), 2 packs; started really well. Next adventure is yeast propagation and liquid yeast.

UJust upgraded my brew system to pumps fitted to the old mash run and hlt ......I have really enjoyed doing all the additions and alterations.....anyway used it for the first time today- real good fun- and of course I left levers open, put the hoses on the wrong end of the pumps.....but that's what I love about this hobby, its a bloody great big learning curve.
I'm know sitting next to 21litres of a made up recipe boiling the first addition of hops.
5kg PM
7g challenger 60 mins
18g Simcoe "
10g Citra. 10mins
10g Simcoe. "
Prot tab 10 mins
20g Citra flame out
20g Simcoe flame out
Yeast is reused saflager that was used on a Mr Hughes Czech pilsner......
(12 litres Tesco value spring water with 5ml crs for mash, 14 litres with 6ml crs for sparge)

Its smelling great at the moment.... 10 min hops going in soon...
This is the pilsner ......

This is todays cold break....it looks like snotty pond weed- and we drink the resulting brew !

149590141931173370124.jpg

149590523613273370124.jpg

149590731392373370124.jpg

1495907338001749323439.jpg

Back