Too much water in wine kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammy79

Reaction score
Hi, I am still new to brewing, put on a batch of Cellar 7 Merlot last night, but think I added about a lire or so too much water. The SG was only around 1030 whereas the two previous batches were around 1070 and 1080. So should I add dissolved sugar or leave it as a weak wine?

Hi, I am still new to brewing, put on a batch of Cellar 7 Merlot last night, but think I added about a lire or so too much water. The SG was only around 1030 whereas the two previous batches were around 1070 and 1080. So should I add dissolved sugar or leave it as a weak wine?

Up to you really but the weak option is not really a good one. Add sugar or some red grape juice or some red grape concentrate perhaps?

I don't think an extra litre of water could explain the difference between 1.080 and 1.030

Like Ian says there is no way a litre would make that much difference it would take more than double the water.

Checked with hydrometer again and was reading 1080 so everthing fine...not sure how I got the rogue reading first time...thanks for replies anyway guys.

Back