Coopers Ginger Beer - How to improve?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottM

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've just received my coopers ginger beer kit and I'm looking at ways to make it better. Reading through the reviews and looking at the instructions on the tin it's a little weak and not quite on the edge of gingery.

Original ABV is 3.5% based on the kit and 1kg of sugar. From that I figure that the OG is approx 1.027 and the FG will be approx 1.000. Not a great deal of fermentable material in this kit then :D

So.. I'm thinking along the following, any thoughts or recommendations?

Ginger Beer Kit
1kg Brewing Sugar
500g Light DME
500G Fresh Ginger (Grated and stewed)
200g Priming Sugar
Brewed to 23L rather than 20L.

Based on the above the OG will be 1.037 and the FG will be 1.001, giving an ABV of 4.6% much more respectable (including the priming sugar).

My only worry is the addition of DME, will that have a negative or positive effect on the ginger beer flavour? I'm hoping the additional ginger will make the difference with regards to the bite and ginger flavour.

I won't be doing this kit for a little while as I have a few other things on the go at the moment, but I'm looking forward to trying it out.

alawlor66430 said:
Why don't you just brew it short

I'd rather make the most of the use of an FV etc. Regardless of whether I brew short or to full length I'm still going to be using all the same equipment, space and taking the same amount of time etc. Would rather spend a little more and make the absolute most of the kit that I can :)

I've it before and found it so sweet that it was effectively undrinkable. Fortunately, I did a simultaneous batch of bone dry ginger beer that was so dry that it was also undrinkable. A bottle of each, mixed with ice and lemon was excellent.
I currently have a 10 gallon batch premixed and ready to bottle.

Latest posts

Back