First All Grain Brew: Mr Simcoe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuggled

Reaction score
Hi All,

I did my first AG recipe last weekend, all went according to plan. I finally took the plunge and went for a Grainfather mainly as it's a neat little system that packs away easily and space is a bit of a premium in our house. I chose to try one of the built in recipes called Mr Simcoe, got my ingredients and gave it a crack.

8 days later and it has already reached its FG for the last couple of days without moving... unless it does suddenly go lower than 1.010 but I doubt that. So just going to dry hop for the last 5 days or so before I bottle.

Has anyone else tried to brew Mr Simcoe, I've not see any reviews of it on the forum or elsewhere online? I'll try and post a decent review of it when it's been in the bottle for a month or so to give it a chance. Just wondering what others thought of it, if they'd tried it?

What's the recipe? Simcoe is one of my favourite hops. If it's got lots of Simcoe in it will be hard to go wrong.

I like Simcoe too, and the recipe was pretty straight forward so I just went for it. I had a cheeky taste of the hydrometer test beer... it's good so far. I'm really hoping that my first one turns out ok, but prepared that it might not!

The recipe is:
Batch Vol 23L
IBU 24
EBC 6
Boil time 90 mins
Mash Water: 17.8 L (75mins @ 65C and mash out 10mins @ 75C)
Sparge: 15.9 L

Grain Bill:
Pale Ale (I used Maris Otter): 4.2Kg
Pale Wheat: 0.30Kg
Munich II: 0.50Kg
Carahell: 0.30Kg

Boil 60min 10g Simcoe
Hopstand 20min 50g Simcoe
Dry hop 5 days 150g Simcoe

1 delta floc boil 15 mins
10g Calcium sulphate

It recommended Mangrove Jacks US West Coast yeast, 20g (two packs dry which I rehydrated prior to pitching).

That looks like a great recipe. Personally I might up the bitterness a little bit but 150g dry hop will have it tasting amazing.

wonder how much bitterness you'll get from the 150 dry hop, recipe sounds great though!

Thanks guys, it seemed a good recipe to me in my all grain ignorance. Like I say the bit I took out to test with the hydrometer tasted great, so I've got fairly high hopes.

The 150g should hopefully give it enough, apparently the yeast gives quite a clear flavour profile so should let the hops punch through a bit more.

Fingers crossed!

Looks good. I prefer good ol' US-05 to M44 though. M44 produced slightly weird esters for me, although it floccs better.

Looks good. I prefer good ol' US-05 to M44 though. M44 produced slightly weird esters for me, although it floccs better.

Grainfather and Mangrove Jack are the same company so I reckon it's the only yeast brand recommended in the recipes.

I love MJ44 though, and prefer it to US-05. It probably helps that I used it in the best beer I've ever made though!

I did debate using a safale or other equivalent, but thought as it's my first one I'll do it by the book. The bloke in my LHBS said I only needed one pack (11g) but I doubled checked and it is two so I had to go back and buy another one. Is two (20-22g) packs common in all grain recipes? I've never seen that in my kit brewing.

Pretty much all the Grainfather built in recipes are Mangrove Jack yeasts as, like you say they're the same company, but I would imagine if you knew your yeasts you could use other/better varieties.

I'm a big fan of MJ yeasts but I've only ever used 1 pack in a brew, even with really high abvs, 8% +.

I've never felt this was an issue for me.

Maybe I should've just used 1 pack... a few of the recipes even say 3 packs, some 2 and some just 1. I've seen a few other recipes on Brewers Friend (BeerXML)s which say two too.

Two packs is good for this style, helps keep it clean. I'm planning on putting three packs of US05 in my next beer.

That's interesting. Do you find it makes quite a big difference?

I think so, but maybe I'm paranoid about yeast health. I had a few big beers not turn out as pleasant as I'd hoped. Then I had two in a row in which I used a higher pitching rate and they worked really well: an 8.5% DIPA and an 11% RIS. I think for malt and hop driven beers there is nothing to lose by using commercial pitching rates, apart from the cost, though for British ales, Belgians, Wheat beers and so on, then pitching high you might dull the yeast character that comes from the growth phase.

Would bet a lot of money that 1 pack will easily get it done.
Only used MJ yeast twice and won't use it again,beers never reached FG.
Fermentis or Crossmyloof for me,and one pack in 23 ltrs as well, half pack up to 10 litres,never had a problem.:)

Hi guys, just an update on this. It's had two weeks in the bottle... and wow! My first all grain and I am completely sold, it's fantastic. Easily the best homebrew I've ever made, no twang at all, lovely Simcoe hops coming through.
It is still slightly cloudy, but I think that some of it is just a chill haze. It is very lightly carbed which I'm pleased about, perhaps another week in the bottle will just get it a touch more carbonation.
I'm really pleased with how it's all gone :)

Hi guys, just an update on this. It's had two weeks in the bottle... and wow! My first all grain and I am completely sold, it's fantastic. Easily the best homebrew I've ever made, no twang at all, lovely Simcoe hops coming through.

Well done! Give it two more weeks and the taste will get even better and the haze will clear. Looking at your recipe you might want to try a bottle chilled in the fridge vs. a bottle at our typical english room temperature. The low IBU American 'blonde ale' style really does taste great chilled.

Latest posts

Back