Sloe & raspberry wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tau

Landlord.
Reaction score
Waitrose Sloe & raspberry cordial no additives on the label 52g sugar per 100ml, 30% juice content. Had a sample taste before using, raspberry was strong but a thick deep plummy flavour from the sloes. No citric added as should be ok with the cirtic in raspberries.

2 dj's made.

2 litres rgj lidl's
1kg sugar in each dj
1/2 tsp powder tannin in each
1 tsp of wilko yeast nutrient and 1 tsp of pectolase in each dj.
sloe & raspberry cordial
187 ml in dj 1
195 ml in dj 2
Sprinkle of GV4 yest used on both.
Ruffly works out at 1420g of sugar in each. So an o.g. around 1117 which will give about 16.67%, after racking will drop hopefully to around 14.5/15%.
100min's later - fermenting.

Sounds decent Tau - with a a Waitrose near by I think I'll give this one a go. How much was the cordial ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Tau.
The only Waitrose cordial I can find is Frobishers,
With 6.3 g sugar per 100ml. Is this the one you used?

It was 'Five Valleys cordials' from Stroud, researched their website couldn't buy anything and refered to Frobishers site, seemed to be 2 years since updating website so they may have been bought out by Frobishers. Not sure that you may get Five valleys product rather than what is listed on the Waitrose website as it does say alternative products may be used as replacements.

Sounds decent Tau - with a a Waitrose near by I think I'll give this one a go. How much was the cordial ?

Think it was £3.25 for 375ml, although I had a bit more in the bottle 5ml extra :) I had sent my sourcing scouts out for it so didn't pay a thing :)

It was 'Five Valleys cordials' from Stroud, researched their website couldn't buy anything and refered to Frobishers site, seemed to be 2 years since updating website so they may have been bought out by Frobishers. Not sure that you may get Five valleys product rather than what is listed on the Waitrose website as it does say alternative products may be used as replacements.

Found this :

4c82ec2f725d25eecb3704cc058ee70b.png

Well I got the old product then. You might get a slightly different blend on the new bottles if 62g sugar per 100ml and 82% sloe / 4% raspberry. New ones seem on the surface to have moe in them but 82/4 might just be contrate blend and still be 30% fruit let us know if it is different.

Knocked up another two dj's of this on Sunday. Only differences were dj3&4 both 190ml of s&r and dj4 only got half a pinch of gv4 yeast fermenting away though might take a couple of days longer to reach max yeast levels.

Well racked first 2 dj's today and took a reading s.g 1.012 after 35 days, it's going to take some time more as they looked fairly clear and onto a camden just hoping that some yeasties are left as I'm never going to be able to restart it. Think I better leave the other dj's for another month. Taste good though.

Back