Wheat in beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrissparky

Regular.
Reaction score
Strange but I really don't like any beer I've tried with wheat in it. Don't know why? But anything I've tried I don't like. Varying from can't even drink to just don't like. Very strange

Each to their own I reckon. I enjoy a wheat beer from time to time but they're certainly not my favourite style of beer.
Come to think of it, I'm not sure what my favourite type of beer is :hmm:

Strange but I really don't like any beer I've tried with wheat in it. Don't know why? But anything I've tried I don't like. Varying from can't even drink to just don't like. Very strange

You are not alone. Wheat is alright in bread and breakfast stuff but beer? Nah. It's like gravy is good on beef and Yorkshire puddings but you wouldn't put it on fish fingers, right?

I've noticed a few ale recipes require it. I bought some for an IPA only for head retention. I think it made up only 7â„… of the grain bill. Couldn't tell it was there myself.
Passed on a bottle of wheat beer not long ago from my local brewery. It left me feeling full as if I'd eaten a meal. Not good when u fancy getting rat arsed in the garden on a nice sunny day

Have used wheat malt in a few Ales at low percentages and couldn't say-
oh yes there is wheat in that!

Wheat can add a sour and refreshing edge to a good recipe. I think the thing with wheat is that it does need to be paired with a good yeast. The right yeast can make a wheaty beer refreshing and light, while an inappropriate one can feel heavy and thick, which gives the impression of it being turgid.

There is some wheat in a large number of beers. It's a bit like saliva in takeaways; more common than you might think!

A well made Wheat beer is a thing of beauty! I have had a couple though (my current American Wheat that I'm struggling to get through, and the Wooha Wheat beer) that have been kind of cloying and sticky and I'be not been a big fan.

I have tried wheat with lager malt in a beer using a Belgian yeast (can't remember which one) and got none of that wheat beer fruitiness. A similar grainbill using Mangrove Jacks M29 French Saison and it's massively fruity like Hoegaarden. Personally I love that.

You might have drunk beer down the pub and not been aware it had some wheat in the grain bill.
Brewers often used Torrified Wheat (up to 10% of the grain bill) to help with head retention.

Greg Hughes American Wheat beer gets good reviews and M&S do a cracking Wheat beer with Coriander and Orange peel even (Adnams brew it for them) I love one of them to sit and sip to finish off my session 👍

You might have drunk beer down the pub and not been aware it had some wheat in the grain bill.
Brewers often used Torrified Wheat (up to 10% of the grain bill) to help with head retention.

I'll second this only due to noticing many of wheelers recipies calling for wheat in bitters/ales

I am not a big fan of wheat, I think sometimes its used in non wheat beers just as an excuse to be cloudy.
That makes little sense. The wheat is added long before any haze would be evident and it would be easier to claim it had wheat haze than actually adding wheat.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I am not a big fan of wheat, I think sometimes its used in non wheat beers just as an excuse to be cloudy.

Haha ye our beer's not up to much so let's wang some wheat in and tell 'em it's craft ale and supposed to look like s***e that'll fool 'em. Works as well I'll bet. Wheat, pah. Leave it to kellogs.

Ignorant twaddle. I've seen plenty of published traditional British recipes with wheat used, in books raved about on this site and historic British recipes straight from breweries.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Back