My Water Profile And Calculations Advice Please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shepp

Regular.
Reaction score
I wonder if anybody could cast an eye over this.

My water report Affinity Water Surrey Ashford / Staines

Calcium 129 mg/l
Magnesium Not Shown
Sodium 42.2 mg/l
Sulphate 74 mg/l
Chloride 61 mg/l
Alkalinity 242 HCO3 mg/l
Hardness 323 CaCO3 mg/l

I bought a Salfert Alkalinity Test Kit and my reading was
Alkalinity 195 CaCO3 mg/l

I wondered if it is better input the water companies calcium level of 129 mg/l into the water treatment calculator or use my own tested Alkalinity result and multiply by 0.4?

195 x 0.4 = 78mg/l calcium

I use CRS to reduce my alkalinity.

Another thing, I have a digital PH tester which appears to be accurate. I wonder once CRS is added, what is the sort of PH level I will be looking for in the brewing water when making a porter? Or maybe it's not important, I am at the begining of my learning.

Many thanks

My alkalinity is around the same, and you can use your tap water straight for a porter/mild/stout, I do no problems. For any sort of pale beer your going to at least need to strip out alkalinity. I also use CRS and use the brupaks chart http://www.brupaks.com/water%20treatment.htm (go down to the little scale saying CRS in ml per L). Like me your probably going to need 0.87 which strips out 160ppm. For pales you need alkaliniy between 0-30ppm/50ppm (theres more info down the page on what ppm alkalinity you need for different styles)

My water changes but it always seems to be between 180ppm and 200ppm so I often dont even bother testing it and just go with 0.87, which always seems to work.

CRS seem to be stronger than the chart so I alway use a little bit less. so for 25L (which is the amount I normally treat) of water 25x0.87=21.75ml of CRS. This is slightly too much so I will only use 21ml. It doesnt sound much but the 0.75ml does make a difference and takes the alkalinty down further than I want

As for the other salts I havent start adding those yet but Strange steve has and excellent post
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64822

I would use the lower value for calcium. Although multiplying by 0.4 isn't entirely accurate, the water company value is probably an average and it can be quite variable.
The pH of the brewing water isn't important, if the alkalinity is adjusted appropriately then the the mash pH will be correct, which is the main goal.

My alkalinity is around the same, and you can use your tap water straight for a porter/mild/stout, I do no problems. For any sort of pale beer your going to at least need to strip out alkalinity. I also use CRS and use the brupaks chart http://www.brupaks.com/water%20treatment.htm (go down to the little scale saying CRS in ml per L). Like me your probably going to need 0.87 which strips out 160ppm. For pales you need alkaliniy between 0-30ppm/50ppm (theres more info down the page on what ppm alkalinity you need for different styles)

My water changes but it always seems to be between 180ppm and 200ppm so I often dont even bother testing it and just go with 0.87, which always seems to work.

CRS seem to be stronger than the chart so I alway use a little bit less. so for 25L (which is the amount I normally treat) of water 25x0.87=21.75ml of CRS. This is slightly too much so I will only use 21ml. It doesnt sound much but the 0.75ml does make a difference and takes the alkalinty down further than I want

As for the other salts I havent start adding those yet but Strange steve has and excellent post
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64822

That's great to hear from someone who has put it in practice with comparable water.
Strange Steve's guide is very informative, I have been looking for something this concise for weeks.

I would use the lower value for calcium. Although multiplying by 0.4 isn't entirely accurate, the water company value is probably an average and it can be quite variable.
The pH of the brewing water isn't important, if the alkalinity is adjusted appropriately then the the mash pH will be correct, which is the main goal.

Steve, a lot of people with hard water like myself and MyQul don't bother with CRS when brewing stout and porter. But if I input the figures into this site's and Graham Wheelers water treatment calculators, the recommended dose for CRS for 22 litres of water is around 13 ml.
What do you think about this, which way would you go?
Thanks

Steve, a lot of people with hard water like myself and MyQul don't bother with CRS when brewing stout and porter. But if I input the figures into this site's and Graham Wheelers water treatment calculators, the recommended dose for CRS for 22 litres of water is around 13 ml.
Thanks

It's probably not necessary for a stout or porter, the mash pH will probably be within the desired range. Since you say you have a pH meter, I'd recommend brewing without the CRS this time and check the mash pH about 10 mins after dough in. If you find it's a bit high then you'll know for next time. Fwiw somewhere around 5.5 is perfect for a stout.

Thanks

My opinion on this is that although calculators say to add additons CRS/gypsum/etc, personally I just go with what it tastes like. As I say when I make dark beers with my water they taste great even though calculator may tell me to add or take away things but if I make pales I have a harsh bitter after taste not the clean bitterness you want, so I HAVE to strip out the alkalinity or the beer wont taste good. If I lived in a soft (well lower alkalinity strictly speaking as soft & low alkalinity is different) water area I probably wouldn't do any treatment as I understand you can still make good dark beer with low alkalinity water but it seems not to be the inverse case (good pale beer with high alkalinty)

Some people find the water treament part of brewing an interesting part of the hobby but I just find it just a bit of a hassle and wouldn't do it if I didnt have to.

It's probably not necessary for a stout or porter, the mash pH will probably be within the desired range. Since you say you have a pH meter, I'd recommend brewing without the CRS this time and check the mash pH about 10 mins after dough in. If you find it's a bit high then you'll know for next time. Fwiw somewhere around 5.5 is perfect for a stout.

Sounds like a good plan, thanks.

Back