Cider 'Au Naturel'

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know it's very early - the blossom has hardly fallen off the apple trees yet but I'm thinking about my plan for cider brewing this autumn.

Last autumn was my first time making cider. It came out OK. 70/30 mix of eaters/cookers. I used Campdens to kill the natural yeast then used a Cider yeast + nutrient to get it going.

Chatting to one of the old boys in the village who has been making cider traditionally for years - keeps things very simple literally just puts the juice in a 5 gallon brewing keg lets it bubble away all winter and tops it up with more must / juice as it goes along.

We exchanged some cider for each to try. I really liked his. Something reminiscent of the old 'Cider Barrel' lollies I used to eat as a child. Funnily enough he liked mine - he liked that it was clearer than his with a bit of fizz. Anyway I've got no doubt we'll exchange some notes this autumn.

So coming to the end of my long rambling post - my point is anyone here ever brewed 'au naturel' just relying on the natural yeasts?

Any tips, experiences, insights much appreciated :)

I also had my first go last year, and did some with yeast and some just left naturally to ferment. Also helped out at local orchard picking and pressing in exchange for apples and advice. Longer you leave to ferment the drier the cider seems to get.

I just pulped and pressed whatever apples I could get, but this year intend to press each variety separately and put into individual demijohns. Will then taste and mix if necessary. Will probably leave for only a couple of months as the earlier ones I bottled were more to my taste.

I don't intend to use any yeast this time and will let nature do its work. Only difference I can recall was the ones with yeast added seemed to clear better, but that may just have been the earlier apples / bottling

Latest posts

Back