re-pitch?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey

Reaction score
Alright lads and ladies

bit of advice needed. Got 2 kits on, a brewferm kit and a young AIPA. I have done loads of kits before, but this time around life has got in the way and both have been sat for 5-6 weeks. the brewferm kits is still sat in primary, but the young i racked off a week ago after remembering i dry hopped 10 days before that!!!

planning to sort them both out this weekend so that will be 6-7 weeks.
Will the brewferm kit have suffered from sitting on the yeast for so long?
Will i need to re-pitch any yeast? and if so what the best way to do this?
should i go for another dry hop on the youngs as its been over a week since i racked this one off the yeast and hops?
going to be bottling the brewferm, and a mix of bottles and mini kegs for the AIPA

i did have a taste of the AIPA when racking last week, and it was actually pretty good, although very hoppy due to the long dry hop. haven't tested the brewferm, but having done some of these before, i know most don't taste good this young!

Did you take an OG reading, if so what is the reading/s now and do they corespond something like the kit instructions suggest?.
Never kept an FV going that long but have done for three weeks without problems. Guessing as long as they were kept sealed that they should be fine.
Must admit i taste my trial jar samples but you can't honestly tell what the finished article will be like from those.

The co2 will have stopped any oxidation and as Chub says an SG reading will tell you how the fermentation went. If the reading is very, very low you may have to pitch a small amount of yeast for the secondary fermentation. If it smells alright then it should be ok to bottle or keg.

haven't taken a gravity reading in a few weeks, but the last one i took was down at 1.010 for the AIPA.
Will do another reading tonight to see how low they have got.
Just concerned too much yeast will have dropped out and the bottles/kegs won't carb up properly
they both smell fine and taste fine, so thats not a worry.

If i do decide to pitch some more yeast, is the best way to do it in the bottling bucket when i batch prime? maybe rehydrate half a pack of gervin and whack it in?

haven't taken a gravity reading in a few weeks, but the last one i took was down at 1.010 for the AIPA.
Will do another reading tonight to see how low they have got.
Just concerned too much yeast will have dropped out and the bottles/kegs won't carb up properly
they both smell fine and taste fine, so thats not a worry.

If i do decide to pitch some more yeast, is the best way to do it in the bottling bucket when i batch prime? maybe rehydrate half a pack of gervin and whack it in?

Take a sample away to test , dilute it with water about the same temp as not to shock the yeast and add some sugar, if it starts frothing then it's still alive :)

great idea 91, will give that a try. Will put some cling film over the glass to see if any bulging happens.
Do i need to dilute the test sample though? can i not just draw off half a glass from each FV and bung in some sugar?

I don't think you'll have any problem with it carbing up. They will always be some yeast.
It may take a little longer to carb, but it will.

I've left a stout for a month before bottling. That carbed up OK.
I haven't left a beer as long as you have but if it were me, I'd just go ahead and bottle it.

Did a Brewferm ambiorix last August and had a mare getting the FG down so I ended up trying to restart it twice, then went on holiday, then when we got back I was up the wall busy. I think it was about 9 weeks after starting and three pitches of yeast before I bottled it. It's fine and gets better with age.

just thought i would give some feedback on this issue. I decided to just bottle both brews up as normal. Both were clear as a whistle due to the time being sat in the FVs. they have been sat for 4 days now in the kitchen, and low and behold, both are carbing up nicely. the few PET bottles i have are getting pretty firm. I think the warm weather has helped a lot, but just goes to show that there was enough yeast still in suspension after all that time. I might think about doing this a bit more, as it seems the bulk conditioning has done wonders for the taste of the brews.

Latest posts

Back