Hop addition times are hocus, aren't they?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting, do they hop every minute after bittering??

It fortifies my findings, some people just wait and chuck everything in when the gas goes off but I personally do not find it is as efficient or holds the flavour aroma whatever you want to label it as long.

Yup, hopped continuously from bittering, I seem to remember it was with Falconers Flight hops. It is a really nice hopped beer, below is the can but also do cask/keg.

Continuous..JPG

I too was having difficulty coming to terms with some of the American "craft-brewing" and Brewdog hop schedules. Tiny additions at the beginning of the boil, huge additions at the end. To be dismissed as more ridiculous fads ...

But I start reading up the historical publications (like CAMRA's Homebrew Classics and Durden Park Beer Circle's "Old British Beer...") and what do you know ... around the 19th century they were using equally crazy hop schedules in the original IPAs and like.

As one of the more prolific writers (Clive La Pensee) put it, a lot of "developments" were to do with economics and we shouldn't use them to determine a "right or wrong" way of doing things. What might seem wasteful on a commercial scale might be wonderful on a home-brew scale (or Brewdog, etc., scale it seems).

OK sounds promising. So would you still add the same amount of hops to the boil or miss some out to cater for the amount used in the mash?

I figure all the hops I want to do for a batch then divide them up throughout the brew. So I'm not adding more hops just moving the schedule around.

Now that's got me thinking for another experiment to step addition preboil with no additions to the boil and reduce my boil time to 30 mins.

If you're suggesting only 30 min total boil time, I would advise against that. There's several compounds in the wort you want to boil off. DMS (dimethyl sulphide) for example, has a half-life of such that you really should be aiming for at least a full hour boil to avoid a cooked-corn off-flavour in your final beer.

I too was having difficulty coming to terms with some of the American "craft-brewing" and Brewdog hop schedules. Tiny additions at the beginning of the boil, huge additions at the end. To be dismissed as more ridiculous fads ...

We also need to consider how the commercial brewing process differs from our little kitchen setups.

It may seem OTT but consider that after these huge flame-out additions, the wort may be sat in a huge hot kettle, or whirlpool, for up to an hour before it's cooled and transferred to a FV. Moving and cooling that much beer takes time!

That extra time for pumping the still-hot wort around on a larger, commercial system can lead to significant isomerization that we don't have to account for (hence a requirement for more late additions, hop-backs etc.)

Where as on our smaller setups, we dump in a wort chiller and our beer is < 70Ëšc in a few minutes (ceasing any further isomerization).

If you're suggesting only 30 min total boil time, I would advise against that. There's several compounds in the wort you want to boil off. DMS (dimethyl sulphide) for example, has a half-life of such that you really should be aiming for at least a full hour boil to avoid a cooked-corn off-flavour in your final beer.
Maybe so but certainly worth a try as can be seen here.

http://brulosophy.com/2015/03/11/the-impact-of-boil-length-ale-exbeeriment-results/

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

When in doubt give a test run like a lot of us here have. Make the exact recipe but move the hops around. My setup is great because it's designed for small 7 liter brews with 7 liter glass fermenters. So when I test flameout or dry hopping, I can make 21 liters then split into 3 FV. add my hops at different stages and see the results.
Recently I've been working on mash hopping. Adding the hops in with mashing. There's a reaction to the oils that happen and there not supposed to change even in the boil. This is my first time doing this so I'll see next month what comes of it.
Now that sounds interesting.....
If you get a chance too, can you post an update on how the brew goes ?

Latest posts

Back