Bottling after conditioning?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeyd

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently started a beer kit and it's now in a keg conditioning after adding priming sugar.
Couple of questions please, one, I didn't desolve the priming sugar, I just tipped it straight in! Is this likely to mess things up?
Secondly, I was planning on leaving it in the keg for a couple of weeks to condition, then bottle it up.
Am I likely to lose much of the carbonation during bottling? Should I add carbonation drops to the bottles?

Many thanks

Mike

I didn't desolve the priming sugar, I just tipped it straight in! Is this likely to mess things up?
Mike
The yeast will still eat through it even if it wasn't dissolved, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I was planning on leaving it in the keg for a couple of weeks to condition, then bottle it up. Am I likely to lose much of the carbonation during bottling? Should I add carbonation drops to the bottles?
You will likely lose some carbonation while bottling, but not all, so it will be hard to judge how much sugar you should add to the bottles. How much would be a guesstimate based on how much priming sugar you added to the keg, how much beer is there, the size of the bottles, and the style of the beer.

Ok thanks for the reply. I was thinking of adding one carb drop per 500ml bottle.
It's a light golden lager, I made about 22L to which I added 85g priming sugar.

Sorry when I said it's in a keg it's only a standard air lock keg, not a proper pressure barrel.
Plus want to be able to have the convenience of bottles.

Thanks

Sorry when I said it's in a keg it's only a standard air lock keg, not a proper pressure barrel.
Plus want to be able to have the convenience of bottles.

Thanks

Can you clarify what kind of keg the beer's in? If it's got an air lock (which suggests gas can escape) it won't carbonate.

If all the CO2 from the extra sugar you added has been vented from your 'conditioning keg' then you can prime using the normal amount of sugar.
I don't bother with carbonation drops, they are an expensive way of adding sugar. I just use ordinary table sugar. As your beer is a lager it needs quite lot of carbonation so I would dissolve about 130g of sugar in a little boiled water, cool, then add to your keg, gently stir in (don't disturb the settled yeast) or just leave it for a while to mix in evenly then go ahead and bottle. Alternatively add three quarters of a tsp of sugar to each bottle.

Latest posts

Back