Rotating sparge arm problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlatFenBrew

Reaction score
Have done 2 brews now and seem to have a problem with my rotating sparge arm.
Instead of sprinkling water across the diameter of the mash tun as it spins it throws the water to the edges of the mash so that the majority of grains don't get sprinkled. I have tried to slow the arm down to reduce the centrifugal force but to no avail.
My original gravity readings have been consistent with the recipes so no issue there.
Any ideas please? Worth getting a replacement? Any other methods for sparging worth considering?
Thanks
Bob:-?

I used to have a rotating sparge arm, but the flow of water needed to make it rotate meant that I was adding water too quickly, and so it didn't spin. What I did was cover the top of the grain in foil, poke holes in the top using a pen or something, then slowly allow water to flow on from the HTL via a tube resting just above the grainbed. As long as there's ~5cm of water on top it will be fine.

EDIT: similar to this setup but less fancy; I used foil instead of that metal plate [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJgczxvOmNg[/ame]

Have done 2 brews now and seem to have a problem with my rotating sparge arm.
Instead of sprinkling water across the diameter of the mash tun as it spins it throws the water to the edges of the mash so that the majority of grains don't get sprinkled. I have tried to slow the arm down to reduce the centrifugal force but to no avail.
My original gravity readings have been consistent with the recipes so no issue there.
Any ideas please? Worth getting a replacement? Any other methods for sparging worth considering?
Thanks
Bob:-?
Think the rotating aspect of a sparge arm is just a gimmick. I would just make sure that you have an inch of water above your grain and continue as you are. Its all about getting water into the tun without it channelling the bed, nothing else really.

after a fiddle with tubes myself i also came to the conclusion that at our level the flow of 12l or so over 20-35minutes isnt sufficient to power the rotation .

if you NEED it to spin employ a motor and drive it ;)

Or use a tin foil grain bed protector.

Or consider batch sparging ;)

Latest posts

Back