Christmas Brew Help - Adding melted dark chocolate?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polymath

Reaction score
Hello all,

Looking at making a Hob Goblin style beer for christmas. Something to brew now and leave in the shed till Christmas Eve. Currently got the following on order :

1 x COOPERS CLASSIC OLD DARK ALE 1.7 KG
1 x MUNTONS BEER KIT ENHANCER
1 x MUNTONS FOIL PACK SPRAYMALT DARK 500GRM

My question is that I'm intending on trying to give it a bit more of a chocolate flavour than a normal Hob Goblin. Nothing too much but a bit more of a bitter sweet taste to it. My intention is to put about 150-200g's worth of melted dark chocolate in at some point in the process. My question is : Where would I put it in, what effects would it have and has anyone done something similar before?

Cheers for any info or general opinions on this plan.

N.B. First "brew" day in a few days time.

I suspect the fat in the chocolate would destroy any hope of a decent head.

Why not steep some chocolate malt and use that? It can give an interesting taste of chocolate, despite the name refering to the colour and not the taste.

jamesb said:
Why not steep some chocolate malt and use that?

Good point. I don't understand the term steep thou. Is that something to do with mashing malts and hops etc? I'm still learning this stuff so making beers out of kits etc.

@AT.

Cocoa you say ... sounds like a better way. I'm guessing that would be after the first fermentation and when I rack it?

I only used it once at the end of the boil and it had little effect although that was in a stout, i would be tempted to boil some in water and add it to taste when kegging/bottling ;)

Cheers for the feedback and info guys. I have one more question.

For my brew I got some dark spray malt and Beer Kit Enhancer. Having read the instructions for the dark spray malt, it wanted me to put the same amount in that I would for normal sugar. Problem. Kit needs 1kg, I have 500grams of spray malt. I worked out an answer for this problem.

Put both the dark spray malt and half of the Beer Kit Enhancer in. That gives easily 1kg worth of sugars to play with. Surely it won't make a difference that the sugars are from different kits. Sugar is sugar .....

Anyway that was last night. Today its going really well and smells right. SG was 1050. Does anyone have experience of mixing BKE with a spray malt. Any suggestions on how it will effect the brew. Thanks all :-)

Back