Raspberry Melomel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanywiseman.

Landlord.
Reaction score
So this is going to be my second batch of mead. I have a JAOM on at the moment that looks to be slowing down now. The plan is to ferment the honey like a traditional mead then add the fruit in the secondary. Here is what I have done so far:

3.5lbs honey
Water to 1 gallon
1.5tsp Nutrient (50:50 mix of yeast nutrient and Tronozymol)
2lbs Frozen red raspberries
Gervin D Yeast

I added the honey to a 5L FV then topped up with water to about 4.55L. Half the nutrient was front loaded with the rest to be added equally after the lag and at the 1/3 sugar break. The yeast was rehydrated as per the instructions then the volume doubled with the must to make a small starter. Once the starter showed signs of activity it was pitched and left to do its thing. OG was 1.115 which is a bit high as I was worried about the amount of head space so will top up with cooled boiled water at the 2/3rd sugar break. This was started 24th at about 2200

25/2/13 am: signs of fermentation so degassed and added nutrient then aerated.

25/2/13 noon: SG 1.110, aerated

25/2/13 pm: Aerated must

I will continue to try and aerate the must 3 times a day and check the SG once a day. Fingers crossed this turns out good.

Any comments or advice is very welcome.

Aerated and tested the SG. Now sitting at 1.087. With a OG of 1.115 the 1/3 sugar break should be about 1.075. I will check it tonight and see where it is at.

Hit the 1/3 sugar break yesterday afternoon, SG 1.073, so added the final dose of nutrient and aerated for the final time. From now on I will just mix the sediment back in till I reach the 2/3 sugar break then from there on te airlock will remain on till it is finished fermenting.

So I swirled the DJ for about 3 days to keep the yeast in suspension the have just left it to do its thing. It is now down to 0.998 so will rack and stabilise in the next few days.

Racked and stabilised about 4 days ago. Mashed 1.5kg of defrosted raspberries and added to the mead. When from a lovely golden colour to a deep red.
ny8azy9y.jpg

The aroma was predominantly honey with nice floral notes from the yeast. The taste was much better than expected. Started slightly hot alcohol which is not uncommon is young meads followed by a slight floral note then strong honey at the end.

Plan to leave the raspberries in for a maximum of 2 weeks (don't think it will need that long due to the alcohol present) before racking/straining. May then add a small amount it strawberry and lycée to improve aroma before back sweetening.

Strained the raspberries last night and have sealed it under airlock for the next month or 2 while it clears. Had planned to add some strawberries and lycee but with the SG at 1.009 after the raspberries so have left them out. Next time I will replace some of the raspberries with strawberries and lycee for the added aroma.

it smells like raspberries with a honey note right at the end. Taste wish it is a very fresh raspberry taste followed by a slight hot alcohol then finishing with the honey. In a few months time this should be lovely and ready to bottle. I will post a pic once it has cleared :thumb:

Bottled this up yesterday. There was 2 inches of sediment that was not packing down so bottled the clear portion in 330ml bottles and the rest when in a litre glass bottle in the hope I will be able to get another bottle or 2 out of it. The raspberry taste has faded a bit and the honey is coming back. I will leave for a few months before tasting again. Great colour!!!

Hello,

I am beekeeper who has a bumper crop of honey this year (the more experienced beekeepers in my area would say this has been the best year since 1984 for honey).

Anyhow, I am going to give your raspberry melomel a go. Thanks for the excellent step by step instructions - this is very useful to a complete and utter newbie like me.

I got all the gear from the local brew shop - but I have one question that is bugging me. You mention that you use 1.5 tsp of Nutrient - which is 50:50 Nutrient and Tronozymol. The ingredients of the Tronozymol that I bought are 50% nutrient and 50% energizer......does this mean that the Tronozymol I have is sufficient by itself? Apologies if this is a ridiculous question - I am a beekeeper not a brewer (Yet)

Can't wait to get started.

Thanks,

Greg

Latest posts

Back