Adding Chocolate to Brews

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markmark

Regular.
Reaction score
I recently tried a bottle of Samuel Smith Organic Chocolate Stout and would like to try a recreate something similar early in the New Year.....so my research has started.
I've read a lot of differing opinion on various website sites regarding what exactly to use and when to add it. So; I'm turning to the collective knowledge here to get some opinion.

SSOCS has a wonderful, smooth chocolaty flavour.....very distinct and quite sweet.
I read on the label that they use chocolate syrup :wha:

There are various clone recipes around for their oatmeal stout, though I will more than likely go with Alemans highly regarded Effin Oatmeal Stout and add the chocolate to that.

So what am I after?
Peoples experiences brewing with chocolate.....what did you use? When did you add it? How much did you add? Did it taste of chocolate? Did anything go wrong?

Thanks for any help that is forthcoming :D

Double chocolate stout is a sweet (milk) stout base so there are two ways of doing it depending how sweet you want the beer to be.

Farmbrew said:
Double chocolate stout is a sweet (milk) stout base so there are two ways of doing it depending how sweet you want the beer to be.
I'd be grateful if you'd share the methods :D
SSOCS is very sweet, the chocolate taste is very distinct.

In "Brewing Classic Styles", Jamil Zainasheff has a recipe for Chocolate Hazelnut Porter that has 227g of cocoa powder added to the boil at the last minutes.4

"it is important to use low fat, unsweetened cocoa powder. Add it at the end of the boil to sanitise it. In the fermenter it will look like chocolate sludge, but that is OK. The longer you let the beer sit on the chocolate sludge, the more flavour and aroma you will extract. Try to give it at least 10 days, but feel free to adjust the time based on taste"

Does that give you anything to go on? SSCS is quite sweet as I recall, so you might want to brew it like a milk stout, using 10% of lactose powder in your fermentables.

Yes Ceejay, it is very sweet; and I think you are right in that a milk stout is probably more appropriate.

Latest posts

Back