Advice on my first mini mash combination please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AircooledAdam

Reaction score
So I've made a few kits and have decided to try a mini mash combination. I've bought a can of cooper Australian pale ale. I'm looking at around a 18-19l brew. I've read up on the process, I'm just after some advice on what grain and hops I should buy and how much I will need please.
Adam.

I would keep it simple and use pale malt crystal malt and a small amount of wheat malt. You could use Chinook or centennial as they are both suited to pale ales also perle cascade first gold and a few others

If you are making a kit with a mini mash you only need 1 to 2 kg of pale malt. You could just use that, a bit of crystal with all some sweetness, a bit of wheat helps the head formation, but just pale will be ok. I've just done a Coopers Pale Ale with a mini mash, I did put crystal and wheat in, but pale malt alone would make a nice, pale beer.

How strong do you want it, and do you want to add crystal/wheat?

And hop-wise, do you prefer English hoppiness, or the stronger American kind of hoppiness?

If you are making a kit with a mini mash you only need 1 to 2 kg of pale malt. You could just use that, a bit of crystal with all some sweetness, a bit of wheat helps the head formation, but just pale will be ok. I've just done a Coopers Pale Ale with a mini mash, I did put crystal and wheat in, but pale malt alone would make a nice, pale beer.

How strong do you want it, and do you want to add crystal/wheat?

And hop-wise, do you prefer English hoppiness, or the stronger American kind of hoppiness?

I've just been reading your sticky, I'm very tempted to make a mini mini mash as you described, but only aim to make around 5litres, just so I can see what it's like. Would this work ok on a smaller scale?

I would be aiming for a pale ale around 4.5%abv.

Yes you can do any quantity you want, just scale a recipe down. If you just use grain I doubt you'll go back.

Ok great, cheers. I've read just about everything I could find so I feel quite clued up! I've just ordered the stock pot so won't be long now!

Back