Have a go at simple AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does Saaz and summer hops go with pale malt? Brewed 5l a few days ago so i guess i will know soon enough. Smelt great so fingers crossed.

Not not done that mix but I can imagine it will be very nice. Cool idea.

You can use any hops for any type of hopping. For bittering, the lower the AA% the more you need. Which is why high AA hops are generally used to bitter, but not always by any means. EKG and Fuggles are both used a lot for bittering English ales, for example.

I'm looking to try out my first AG BIAB after doing a couple of kit brews that have went well so far. I've bought a 16 litre pot to use on my induction hob and a couple of mash bags to line the pot. I'd like to keep my first brew fairly simple to make sure I get it right (hopefully anyway!) so would like to brew a scaled down BIAB version of the Amarillo Single Hop Ale from Greg Hughes book. The recipe for 23 litres is:

60 minute Mash @ 65C
4.7kg Pale Malt
235g Carapils Malt

70 minute Boil
Amarillo 5% 54g@70
Amarillo 5% 27g@15
Protofloc 1tsp@15
Amarillo 5% 27g@5
Amarillo 5% 83g@0

Safale US-05 yeast.

To scale the recipe, is it as simple as dividing all quantities by 2.3? 6 litres for the mash, 8 for the sparge and then this should leave around 12 litres pre-boil after grain absorption. What about the hops as it looks like there would be a lot of hops if I divided the quantities by 2.3?

I'm looking to try out my first AG BIAB after doing a couple of kit brews that have went well so far. I've bought a 16 litre pot to use on my induction hob and a couple of mash bags to line the pot. I'd like to keep my first brew fairly simple to make sure I get it right (hopefully anyway!) so would like to brew a scaled down BIAB version of the Amarillo Single Hop Ale from Greg Hughes book. The recipe for 23 litres is:

60 minute Mash @ 65C
4.7kg Pale Malt
235g Carapils Malt

70 minute Boil
Amarillo 5% 54g@70
Amarillo 5% 27g@15
Protofloc 1tsp@15
Amarillo 5% 27g@5
Amarillo 5% 83g@0

Safale US-05 yeast.

To scale the recipe, is it as simple as dividing all quantities by 2.3? 6 litres for the mash, 8 for the sparge and then this should leave around 12 litres pre-boil after grain absorption. What about the hops as it looks like there would be a lot of hops if I divided the quantities by 2.3?

Yes just divide by 2.3 to make 10 litres. There are a lot of hops in that ale, it's an American style pale ale and it's borderline IPA, with 40 IBUs. It will have a strong hoppy aroma/flavour. You could use a cheaper hop for bittering.

Which hop would you recommend for bittering? To get the same IBU I can use the calculator on this site, yeah? Thanks for your help!

Yes you can use the calculator. What hops do you have? Or will you need to buy?

Yes you can use the calculator. What hops do you have? Or will you need to buy?

I'll need to buy some as its my first AG brew and haven't bought any of the ingredients yet. I just wanted to get my plan of action nailed down first so I was sure in my head what I was doing :)

Scale the protofloc too.

Amarillo is quite subtle in some respects, so I'd stick to the large quantities in the recipe. Can make the recipe slightly cheaper by subbing the 70min hops with something high-alpha-acid, but not sure how much cash that saves you.

Get fresh hops - 2014 or later.

Don't stint on the bittering hop like I did in one of the three times I made this basic recipe. That one I did was described as 'insipid' which I took as a pretty big insult, but it was really. It may be my water mind you - I have a quite hard water which can be a bit tricky with light beers like this one is. I think the calcium is about 47mg/litre for my area which may be partly the cause, but more bittering worked in other brews.

Scale the protofloc too.

Amarillo is quite subtle in some respects, so I'd stick to the large quantities in the recipe. Can make the recipe slightly cheaper by subbing the 70min hops with something high-alpha-acid, but not sure how much cash that saves you.

You'll do well to get later!

Scale the protofloc too.

Stick with the large quantities in the recipe? Do you mean that I shouldn't scale the hops even though the recipe is for 23 litres and I am only brewing 10 litres?

Latest posts

Back