Centennial Brown Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clibit

Reaction score
Centennial Brown Ale
This was beautiful.

Batch Size (L): 10.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048
Final Gravity (FG): 1.007
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.43 %
Bitterness (IBU): 40.5 (Average)

Grain Bill
----------------
1.500 kg Maris Otter Malt (79.37%)
0.110 kg Brown Sugar, Light (5.82%)
0.110 kg Crystal 40 (5.82%)
0.100 kg Wheat Malt (5.29%)
0.070 kg Chocolate (3.7%)

Hop Bill
----------------
7.0 g Centennial Leaf (13.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
10.0 g Centennial Leaf (13.5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
10.0 g Centennial Leaf (13.5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
10.0 g Centennial Leaf (13.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (1 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
2.5 g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Mash at 67°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with Ale Yeast

I just cracked my first bottle of this one. Three week ferment and just a week in the bottle but it's already bloody lovely.

Yeah, it's a belter. I based it on a grain bill from an Orkney Dark Island recipe but changed it a little and used different hops. I've done it with other hops, also really good.

Really good. Inevitably I'm down to the last few bottles, but I've already got another one on the go. No centennial this time, I've used a mixture of Magnum, Target and Aurora .

I've quaffed the last of this. If you haven't tried this, I urge you to give it a whirl. One of the nicest beers I've ever drank.

I also dry-hopped with another 15g of Centennial as well.

I'll be making more of this very soon. This was the beer that has convinced my brother in law to get into brewing.

Would I need to make any adjustments if I did this as BIAB ?
I was going to move from kits to small batch extract brewing, but may just skip extract and go straight to BIAB.

Would I need to make any adjustments if I did this as BIAB ?
I was going to move from kits to small batch extract brewing, but may just skip extract and go straight to BIAB.

No treat it as exactly the same, the methods are different, with BIAB you put all your mash and sparge water into your pot to begin with , mash as normal and then mash out without a sparge and boil.. or traditional you mash in a tun drain this out / sparge and then you proceed to boil in your boiler.

I do a sort of half and half method I suppose, as my pot isn't quite big enough. I mash at about 67*C in enough water to take it up to 3 l/kg, then decant that to a sterile bucket and cover. I then add 80*C (ish) water to the pot to take up to 13l total volume and stick the bag into that, give it a stir about and mash that for another 15 - 20 mins. I don't think it really needs that time, but I end up with acceptable efficiency so I just kept doing it. Take the bag out and let it drain for a few minutes, add you bucket from the mash and boil. Sometimes I lose loads in the boil, so if it drops below the 10l mark on my pot, I just top up with the kettle.

If I went the BIAB route, what volume of water would I start with to end up with 10L of wort ? (not including losses from the hop boil)

If I went the BIAB route, what volume of water would I start with to end up with 10L of wort ? (not including losses from the hop boil)

Assume you mean full BIAB? Hard to say as different equipment works differently but for this recipe you could probably get away with around 14 liters to start with, the grain bill is pretty low, this post mash/ mash out would give you about 12ish liters which you will boil off a liter or two..

There are variables because the quicker you cool , the intensity of the boil ect ect and you will like you say loose some to trub..

It is trial and error though with your own setup.

Try 13 - 14 and see where it gets you. You can always adjust next time... and there will be a next time, believe me :thumb:

I'm not usually a fan of dark beers but am forcing myself to make and drink a few more brown ales, stouts and porters. The comments on this beer have convinced me to give it a go.

I am more used to Newcastle Brown and this Doesn't sound like a traditional nutty brown ale with chocolate and centennial, sounds more like a dark (chocolate) IPA!

I'm not usually a fan of dark beers but am forcing myself to make and drink a few more brown ales, stouts and porters. The comments on this beer have convinced me to give it a go.

I am more used to Newcastle Brown and this Doesn't sound like a traditional nutty brown ale with chocolate and centennial, sounds more like a dark (chocolate) IPA!

As they say roond wor neck of the woods; it's a pure belter. Nowt like Newcastle Brown, darker, richer and really refreshing. I'll up the hops a touch next time, just a touch though, I don't want to spoil it.

I've only tasted newcastle brown once and it was sh*te. My recent Hung, Drawn and Quartered Norther Brown and Dad's Ale's American Apollo that had off him in his bottle swap were a million miles better than the insipid cack that is the modern version of Newkie brown (I understand it tastes completely different now to what it did many years ago)

As they say roond wor neck of the woods; it's a pure belter. Nowt like Newcastle Brown, darker, richer and really refreshing. I'll up the hops a touch next time, just a touch though, I don't want to spoil it.

I used to be partial to a bottle of dog now and again but had to be ice cold but will definitely give this a go.

MyQuls comments reminded me of that well known Newcastle law firm "Hadaway and Sh!te" t'was a fine brew in its day (beloved by my Late father in Law several time a night) but not so good now!

Back