Centennial Brown Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I adapted this recipe to brew with extract and it turned out fantastic, so thought I'd share my extract version:

1 x Muntons Craft Your Own Maris Otter LME 1.5K
1KG Light DME
220g Light Brown Sugar
220g Light Crystal Malt
200g Dextrin malt or Carapils
140g Chocolate Malt
100g Dextrose (Corn Sugar)

Hops:
10g Centennial @ 30mins
20g Centennial @ 15mins
20g Centennial @ 5mins
20g Centennial @ Hopstand 5 mins 80 degrees
Yeast - Crossmyloof Five (American Ale Yeast)

If you're interested in seeing the method, I posted a video on my YouTube channel here:

Centennial Brown Ale (Extract)
Good wee video mate apart from the quiet audio. I turned the volume up and when the funky music kicked in at the high volume my neighbours must have thought ohh good he is having another party.👍

Good wee video mate apart from the quiet audio. I turned the volume up and when the funky music kicked in at the high volume my neighbours must have thought ohh good he is having another party.👍
Oh oops sorry about that. Someone else pointed this out. I'm still trying to get to grips with the video editing so I'm trying to sort that out. Cheers anyway!

@G-Town Brewer if I scale the original recipe up for AG to 21 litres I am seeing 21/15/15/15 for the Centennial hop addition weights.

Sounds far too much if your came out so well at 2
Sorry I should have made it clear in my post that mine was a 20L batch, so double the original size.

I basically just doubled the amount of hops.

Just looking again at the OP recipe: that's some Centennial @13.5% AA!

Google says generally 9-12%; the Centennial pellets I have in store (recently bought) are labelled 7.8%!

Not sure how brave I'd want to be increasing the hop quantities, though. What does it say on your Centennials, guys?

Just looking again at the OP recipe: that's some Centennial @13.5% AA!

Google says generally 9-12%; the Centennial pellets I have in store (recently bought) are labelled 7.8%!

Not sure how brave I'd want to be increasing the hop quantities, though. What does it say on your Centennials, guys?
The batch I got from CML was 10%, so turned out lower IBU overall, but suits my taste.

I still do versions of this. I've changed the hops around. It's a very reliable recipe, for me. And other people I know who have made it have liked it too. Other hops I know that work well are Amarillo, Willamette, Nugget and Cascade. I've used two hops. I've used English hops too. Flyer was really good. And Nonsuch! Not readily available though.

Centennial hops do seem to have dropped in AA content. You nearly always need to adjust hopping to account for the hops you use. Just use a brewing calculator. I tend to hop differently these days anyway. Start and end of boil mostly.

And I like Verdant yeast in this.

OK I am going to have a go at this. As far as I can see, the original recipe implied a high efficiency which I will not achieve (I note some posters fell short of their target). However, against that, this is a slightly stronger beer than I would like, I'd like to drop the ABV a little. With that in mind, I've increased all dry ingredients by 10%, and made the target volume 10.5 litres, so shooting for a BHE of around 69% for an ABV around 4.5%. As noted above, I'll also adjust for the AA rating of the hops.

Well I did all that yesterday, and it hit targets as predicted, 10.5 litres @1045, should give me a nice drinkable beer hopefully. Pitched this morning with Verdant yeast.

I see I never told the story on this. Well, I really liked it, colour, clarity, flavour and carbonation were spot-on.

But, but, but.... it was way too bitter for me. And I speak as someone who certainly isn't hop-phobic. So whatever adjustments I made didn't seem to work well. I just went back through it using the BF tool, and what I did equates roughly to 35 IBU.

At some point I'll try it again, shooting for 25-28 IBU maybe.

Latest posts

Back