Morrisons 4 for £6

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pope

Regular.
Reaction score
So I was in Morrisons yesterday and saw the above deal on their craft beer selection.

I decided to get:

Brewdog's Pumpkin King 5.5%

Robinson's Limited edition Red and Black Porter (in collaboration with the band, Iron Maiden) 6.8%

Marshall's Rock and Roll Craft Beer Blonde Ale 6%

Black Sheep Brewery's Glug'm'glug Dark IPA 6.2%

I just drank the Red and Black Porter. I'd recommend this beer to anyone who likes dark beers. From the picture, you can see it pours a dark brown...not quite as dark as my favourite Porter, by Anchor Brewery. It also has hints of red in the light.

Smells of liquorice.

Mouth feel is nicely carbonated but not over the top.

Tastes a bit roasted but not overpowering...it has a lovely liquorice after taste too.

Next I'll try the Pumpkin King.

20161018_182036.jpg

Better deal at asda 4 for a fiver

Better is subjective and the deals are completely different, Morrisons have Red n Black Porter which Robinson's site says is 12 bottles for £20, and Asda have Trooper which Robinson's site says is 24 bottles for £25; Asda have no Brewdog, Marshalls or Black Sheep in their offer.

I'd say both deals have their merits and worth a look.

I need to continue with this.

I had the Pumpkin King after the Porter. It's the first time I've had a Halloween themed beer, so wasn't sure what to expect.

The colour is a bright orange, in all likelihood due to the Pumpkin in it.

The mouthfeel was typical for a brewdog beer...nicely carbonated.

The taste was very fresh at first. Then the spices kick in...I could detect the Star anise, cloves and cinnamon...the latter being very prominent. Unfortunately, it's not a flavour I'm keen on. For that reason I wouldn't drink it again, though I finished this one.

20161018_194000.jpg

I'm now drinking the Black Sheep Brewery's Glug'm'glug Dark IPA.

It's a very dark brown, close to black but clear.

As per most of this style, it has a lovely roast aroma and taste.

I absolutely love it and recommend it.

20161020_212825.jpg

I'm now drinking the Black Sheep Brewery's Glug'm'glug Dark IPA.

It's a very dark brown, close to black but clear.

As per most of this style, it has a lovely roast aroma and taste.

I absolutely love it and recommend it.

I'm getting thirsty just reading these posts of yours !

I had the Marshall's Rock and Roll Craft Beer Blonde Ale on the weekend too.

It was disappointing. It looks, smells and tastes like a standard lager. I drank it, but wouldn't have another or recommend.

20161021_180751.jpg

Better deal at asda 4 for a fiver

Asda's beer selection is terrible, whereas Morrison's is very good. So, yes, the Asda offer is £1 cheaper, the Morrison's offer is a much better deal.

Does my head in when people use price as a primary factor on which to judge beer.

I had the Marshall's Rock and Roll Craft Beer Blonde Ale on the weekend too.

It was disappointing. It looks, smells and tastes like a standard lager. I drank it, but wouldn't have another or recommend.

I suppose it varies from batch to batch and distance it has to travel tbh - thanks for an honest review

Asda's beer selection is terrible, whereas Morrison's is very good. So, yes, the Asda offer is �£1 cheaper, the Morrison's offer is a much better deal.

Does my head in when people use price as a primary factor on which to judge beer.

this is exactly it - I have seen the 3 for 5er deals at some places and its **** poor - and heard people scoffing at tescos 4 for 6 deal - which you get your moneys worth with IMHO

Great "live" review! Yeah the offers need looking at as some have better choice..
My mate likes ASDA offers because you can get a crate of boddingtons ,or some other dreadful rubbish ,for about £1.65 ! He really likes cheap! The cheaper the better...doesn't care if it's gnats pee! But he's not into the ales...but thinks he may start getting into them....can't figure out why...

Cheers

Clint

Back