Simple Saison

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncmcdonald

Reaction score
I brewed this Saison a few months back and it is one of the best tasting I think I have ever made.

The grist for my Saison recipe is primarily Pilsner malt and a touch of Vienna malt to add a touch of maltiness. That’s it, so it’s super simple.

The hops are just East Kent Goldings, these are a hop I love and fit perfectly both in terms of what would have originally been used by farmhouse brewers and to the style and flavour of the Saison.

I have used dry yeast for this beer as I already had one in the fridge. Lallemand Belle Saison is a good dry yeast that I have used a few times before.

I have a bit more info on the recipe posted here.

Saison Recipe - Belgian Saison
================================================================================
Batch Size: 19.000 L
Boil Size: 22.000 L
Boil Time: 60.000 min
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.054
FG: 1.008
ABV: 6.0%
Bitterness: 27.3 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 4 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pilsner (2 Row) Bel Grain 4.500 kg Yes No 79% 2 L
Vienna Malt Grain 350.000 g Yes No 78% 4 L
Total grain: 4.850 kg

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Kent Goldings 5.5% 40.000 g Boil 60.000 min Leaf 23.1
Kent Goldings 5.5% 20.000 g Boil 10.000 min Leaf 4.2

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Belle Saison Ale Dry 11.001 g Primary

Mash
Name Type Amount Temp Target Time
Infusion 12.610 L 71.923 C 65.000 C 60.000 min
Final Batch Sparge Infusion 14.652 L 82.356 C 74.000 C 15.000 min

I have some dried Belle Saison yeast in the brew draw. When rehydrating it can I ask if you used the 100ml @ 30-35°C as recommended?

Also would you use just one sachet for the whole 19ltrs?

Been thinking about doing a Saison to use it with so may borrow your recipe. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I have some dried Belle Saison yeast in the brew draw. When rehydrating it can I ask if you used the 100ml @ 30-35°C as recommended?

Also would you use just one sachet for the whole 19ltrs?

Been thinking about doing a Saison to use it with so may borrow your recipe. Thanks!

Yeah, I used one sachet rehydrated in 30°C water. Fermentation took off the following day.

Awesome thanks. And how long before pitching did you rehydrate?

I used a Bry-97 yesterday and left it whilst I did the boil. May have over killed it with 3 sachets for 20ltrs at a 1080 OG. 🤔

Awesome thanks. And how long before pitching did you rehydrate?

I used a Bry-97 yesterday and left it whilst I did the boil. May have over killed it with 3 sachets for 20ltrs at a 1080 OG. 🤔

I rehydrated about 20 - 30 minutes before pitching

Nice recipe! What temp does the Belle Saison like to ferment at? I'd like to do a saison, but hear you need some quite advance temperature control? My fermentation cupboard sits at a steady 20 degrees.

I pitched this Saison at 18C and let the temperature slowly rise throughout fermentation so your setup would be fine I would have thought.

I opened the first bottle around three weeks after bottling but it got better and better around 6-8 weeks. Only got one or two of these left now.

I received my 1 gallon all grain recipe kit from @brewstore.co.uk yesterday and I'm very pleased with it and can't wait to get brewing.

Just a couple of questions:- it comes with a 10 gram pack of Mangrove Jacks yeast and on their website it says you can rehydrate the yeast before pitching (although not essential) even though there no mention of this on the instruction leaflet.
And the other question is - do I use the whole 10 grams? As it says you can use the contents for up to 23 litres even though I'm only making 4.5 litres.

Thanks in advance

I received my 1 gallon all grain recipe kit from @brewstore.co.uk yesterday and I'm very pleased with it and can't wait to get brewing.

Just a couple of questions:- it comes with a 10 gram pack of Mangrove Jacks yeast and on their website it says you can rehydrate the yeast before pitching (although not essential) even though there no mention of this on the instruction leaflet.
And the other question is - do I use the whole 10 grams? As it says you can use the contents for up to 23 litres even though I'm only making 4.5 litres.

Thanks in advance

To be honest I wouldn't bother rehydrating the yeast and pitch the whole amount. If you pitch the whole sachet there will be more than enough healthy yeast to ferment out the beer.

The only reason you may want to split the sachet of yeast is if you were brewing another beer otherwise I would just pitch the whole thing.

To be honest I wouldn't bother rehydrating the yeast and pitch the whole amount. If you pitch the whole sachet there will be more than enough healthy yeast to ferment out the beer.

The only reason you may want to split the sachet of yeast is if you were brewing another beer otherwise I would just pitch the whole thing.
Thanks for that. One of these days I'll know enough to stop asking newbie questions [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back