Russian Imperial Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stringybob

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a RIS which I brewed with 3 Coopers cans (Stout, Dark Ale and Lager) plus 1kg Dextrose. I fermented it in 2 batches of 10 ltrs as I was (rightly) worried about the lively fermentation and after a 1.5 weeks I transferred it in to to secondary where it has been for 2 weeks at 1.022 which seems about right (about 10.5% ABV).

I am not in a hurry to bottle this as I need to acquire a lot of 330mm bottles, as a brew of this strength is more of a "sipper" than a "guzzler". If I seal the top of the (plastic) FV and stick in my garage, how much longer dare I leave it before I need to bottle it?

I brewed exactly this recipe about 18 months ago. It was in the FV for 6 weeks (I was away on holiday for a month so I had to leave it) and was absolutely fine when I got back. In fact I suspect if I'd waited it would have fermented down further so you may be as well to wait longer - I primed this as I would any normal beer and all of the bottles have been gushers in spite of no infection, so I think it wasn't finished when I bottled.

Thanks for that - how did it turn out in the end? I have had a taste out of the fv when taking gravity readings and it currently has a very harsh alcohol taste, but I'm sure this will mellow out in the coming months and be ready for christmas.

As an aside, does anyone have a good source for 330ml bottles. I had a look at new bottles and it works out cheaper to buy cheap lager from the supermarket and chuck it down the sink and re-use the bottle!

Thanks for that - how did it turn out in the end? I have had a taste out of the fv when taking gravity readings and it currently has a very harsh alcohol taste, but I'm sure this will mellow out in the coming months and be ready for christmas.

As an aside, does anyone have a good source for 330ml bottles. I had a look at new bottles and it works out cheaper to buy cheap lager from the supermarket and chuck it down the sink and re-use the bottle!

A pub that sells a lot of bud?

Latest posts

Back