Kettle soured Berliner weisse

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFB

Landlord.
Reaction score
Having my first go at kettle souring today using grain for the lacto, fingers crossed:pray:

24l of water treated with gypsum, crs and calcium chloride

2k pilsner malt
1k wheat malt

IMG_2211 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2212 - Copy.JPG

After 45 minutes of mashing I added 200g of crushed acidulated malt

IMG_2216 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2217.JPG

another 15 mins and I dunk sparged and prepared 250g of uncrushed malt and a star san'ed mesh bag

IMG_2219.JPG

IMG_2220 - Copy.JPG

It all got very scary next and I realized how easy it could be to of messed this up! I managed to fill the carboy up with 50c wort and tried to purge with co2

IMG_2221 - Copy.JPG

Drama over, safe in the brew fridge and is now in the lap of the gods!!
After a bit of messing ive now got the inkbird set at 41c with a buffer of 5c up and 2c down so the chamber will hopefully settle without going on off on off...

IMG_2223 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2224.JPG

Ive got 18l of wort souring now but will need to top it up on boil day to get to the planed 19l.
I feel I could well of messed this up. I didn't like the amount of oxygen I could of got into the wort whilst dunk sparging.
When I next have a go at this I will do a full volume BIAB and drain straight into the carboy with the tubing. Any extra step just seems to add the the strong chance of ending up with vomit flavoured beer:sick:
Hopefully with in the next three days this will drop to a ph of 3.5 and ill do a boil and ferment.
Ill keep you posted:thumb:

Good work :thumb: These can be a bit of a gamble but we'll worth it when it works! Iirc mine only took about a day and a half for the pH to drop. What yeast are you using btw?

Interesting write up. Not braved this yet. I have been reading up on the mash souring 'cheat' of using 12-20% Acidulated in a short hot mash to get a sour wort that it is difficult for brewing yeast to ferment, boil, normal ferment and then brett in secondary.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Good work :thumb: These can be a bit of a gamble but we'll worth it when it works! Iirc mine only took about a day and a half for the pH to drop. What yeast are you using btw?

I'm going to try and test every 12 hours which could be tricky as ive just taken a couple of days off work to a get a spot of fishing in.
Keeping the yeast clean and simple with us05 and 15g of saaz on boil day.

ps
I got your beer in the post thanks, it will probably be a week or two before I try it.
Ill put a pic and review up on your post when I do:thumb:

Forgot to add that I had a post mash ph of 4.5 due to the acid malt that should help to keep the vomity parmesan like beastys getting in..

IMG_2218.JPG

I'm going to try and test every 12 hours which could be tricky as ive just taken a couple of days off work to a get a spot of fishing in.
Keeping the yeast clean and simple with us05 and 15g of saaz on boil day.

ps
I got your beer in the post thanks, it will probably be a week or two before I try it.
Ill put a pic and review up on your post when I do:thumb:

US05 is a good choice because it's a hardy yeast and you're pitching into a pretty harsh environment. You'll probably find that nothing much happens for a couple of days after pitching, but don't panic it'll kick off eventually.

And no rush on the review :cheers:

Look very complicated....I'd watch that tramp sleeping on your patio doesn't scoff it...

:lol:thats my sleeping bag cover for fishing, had it for years bit like a security blanket..

Those were the days..or nights...out carp fishing. Hopefully my gear will get an airing this year..it's been moth balled for years,all cleaned and stored in the loft,bite alarms in the house . Custom build Daiwa amorphous, 97 Nash titan,big pit baitrunners and delkim. ..and a bag cover! Kept 2 memberships running because I'd have never got back in with 15 year plus waiting lists!

Got home from work an hour ago and couldn't resist to check the ph before going off fishing AAHHHHHHH!!! Its dropped to 3.3 which is lower than targeted. But no vomit smell in fact it smells lush and tastes tart but sweet obviously.

IMG_2230[731].JPG

I don't normally bother chilling but I'm taking no risks wit this one. So its out with the wortanator!

IMG_2237[733].JPG

Back