Raw Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not in the bottles I left uncarbonated. :-)

Likely to be the result of not precipitating proteins out during a boil containing kettle finings.

Thats interesting. I have to ask, why did you leave them uncarbed and what beer did you make?
The beer was a simple Raw Saison using First Gold hops in the mash, no lautering or fermentation temp control. Brewing with the loose mindset of medieval farmer, with basic equipment (although cheated with a gas hob, and thermometer, hydrometer for recording/monitoring purposes). I left some uncarbonated on the thought that pressurisable containers wouldn't have been available.

I kind of cheat too as i add the wort back to the kettle and pasteurise. The first beers i did i just collected the wort in the FV and fermented that. I found a bottle over a year old and although it was pretty flavourless it was not infected. I have tried mash hopping but i could not detect any bitterness last time so i boiled up some hops separately in a pan of water. Which is fine for low IBU beers. The wheat i have been making is drinkable in a week and tastes great.

I mashed in with half my water to 65c for 50 minutes, then use the other half to raise the mash to 77c to mash out for 10 minutes. More than enough to pasteurise. There was 100g of hops in there, that calculated at 35 IBUs in a 10 L batch. The bitterness was definitely there, maybe around the 30s, although hard to judge. The beer was quite interesting, like a Berlinerweisse without the sourness.

Latest posts

Back