Brew fridge failure

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
Bought a second hand fridge, only a few months ago and seemed to work fine most of time, but really struggles to get temp down initially at start of fermentation.

Been on solidly for 36 hours and Feels cool on outside but at the moment is 22c inside and fv is 23.7- see attached. sold a faulty fridge? Can this be fixed?

Any advice most appreciated!

Same thing happened last time but eventually got working again!

IMG_1046.jpg

I've had a similar problem some years ago with our domestic fridge. I had to replace the thermostat which is not a difficult job to do as long as you are proficient with working with mains electrics. CPC are useful for the spares.

You'll have to plug the fridge straight into a socket and give it half hour to see if it cools. Maybe check the plug fuse first.

Some people remove the fridge thermostat and just use the Inkbird.
Often when the fridge does not get cool enough for them.

ok thanks guys. not big on DIY so will try the easier option and plug it straight into wall first and see if that works to kick start it.

Looks like it shot. It's sounds like it's working and is Strangely cool on the outside but room temp on the inside. That's the risk you take with gum tree I guess!

Don't really want to fork out 200 quid for a new larder fridge (needs to be tall), don't fancy risking gum tree again. Does anyone think it's fixable? Not big on diy so does anyone have an idea of what I he issue is and How much it will cost to get someone out?

Probably not worth getting anyone out to fix it, likely to cost as much as a replacement, unless you know someone handy that is. If you want to remove the thermostat and rely on the Inkbird for control, it should just be a case of joining the two thermostat wires together. You might want to test that it works on the mains first, as discussed above.

Exactly the same running from mains. its shot. that's the risk with second hand i guess!

Rather than spend on a new fridge i might put that instead getting a SS chronical with temp control system, or a brewjacket pro.

Anyone any experience with the Brewmaster chronical temp system or the Brewjacket pro?

One option is that if it's an old fridge sometimes the components corrode or crack, especially if they are used in a cold damp environment, and that can lead to loss of refrigerant, which is undetectable except for those with the service engineers kit. If that's the case there is insufficient refrigerant to do the job.
Regassing sometimes helps but sooner or later you are back to where you were before.

suppose it wouldn't hurt a quote to get it fixed, but feels like throwing good money after bad.

thinking about it- the inkbird continually turning it on and off cant be much good for it.

Looks like it shot. It's sounds like it's working and is Strangely cool on the outside but room temp on the inside. That's the risk you take with gum tree I guess!

Don't really want to fork out 200 quid for a new larder fridge (needs to be tall), don't fancy risking gum tree again. Does anyone think it's fixable? Not big on diy so does anyone have an idea of what I he issue is and How much it will cost to get someone out?

Looking through old threads for something else and saw this. I got a larder fridge for free on freecycle. Had a bit of a smell of spicy foods which months later hasnt completely gone but doesnt affect beer so I'm living with it. The point being, if you get a second hand fridge look on places like freecycle, gumtree, friday ad, etc for a free one. Dont pay unless you have to. That way if it doesnt work the worst you have lost is a trip to the tip.

If you are looking for a replacement you could try searching freecycle to see if anyone is giving one any. You may need to wait a while depending on how active your local group is but you can always post a 'wanted' advert.

Looking through old threads for something else and saw this. I got a larder fridge for free on freecycle. Had a bit of a smell of spicy foods which months later hasnt completely gone but doesnt affect beer so I'm living with it. The point being, if you get a second hand fridge look on places like freecycle, gumtree, friday ad, etc for a free one. Dont pay unless you have to. That way if it doesnt work the worst you have lost is a trip to the tip.

Have you tried cleaning it with thin bleach?

Have you tried cleaning it with thin bleach?

Bleach, VWP and other things. I havent got around to trying vinegar yet which is supposed to be very effective. I want to get some star san as well and will spray some of that on there when I get around to it.

ended up getting a new one and arrives friday. :smile:

at some stage i will use it for just storing beers at 12C if i decide to upgrade to a the brewjacket immersion jobby for temp control.

I found my mothers freezer had a faulty thermostat, so thought I would just buy a new one, however every local place dealing with fridge and freezer repairs did not run from premises but from a van, and wanted £60 call out plus parts used and any time over first hour. Freezer was £100 new, so thermostat from internet and fitted my self.

One problem with freezers is they don't like running for a short time, sensor needs to be on the fermenter not in the air, or no sooner has it started and it is stopped again. Some controllers do have a start delay which can be set, so always a time between motor runs, important there is a 5 minute off time between each run for the pressure to drop before it restarts.

With a motor at £60 + £60 call out likely yours is for the scrap heap.

If the fridge stat is bust and you're using an Inkbird, why not just bypass the fridge stat and let the Inkbird stat do the work?

fwiw our kitchen fridge started playing up a few years back, i bypassed the internal thermostat and ran a stc1000 type controller to the compressor directly and have had no trouble since other than a few initial complaints about the icecream boxed stc1000 on the kitchen top, which is now buried by daily life and ignored mostly..

I had mine in a chest freezer with an inkbird. I don't think it's too happy being turned on and off all the time. When I removed the inkbird, it would cool down to 13degC, but not freeze, so i chucked it. Went back to using the airing cupboard and bought a new beer fridge.

Its not difficult, unplug the fridge and have a look at where the mains lead goes..

you will find that Neutral (blue) and Earth (green/yellow) will get terminated on or right next to the compressor(big round black thing), along side whats probably a black or brown wire comming from within the fridge.
The Live (brown) may be seen to go into the fridge. (to the thermostat and back in the black or brown wire mentioned above)..

if this is the case then to bypass the fridge's internal thermostat its a case of cutting the brown live feed going into the fridge and connecting it to the compressor where the black wire is currently connected.

cutting and taping over the ends of any neutral (blue) wires heading into the fridge splitting off the main wire would also be prudent too.

however electricity is worthy of respect and if in any doubt err on the side of caution.

Back