Tom's Easy Extract & Speciality Malt English Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robsparky99

Newbie kit brewer
Reaction score
This was a recipe sent to me from the Crossmyloof Brewery (Your'll find them on Ebay/Facebook)

Brewed over 10 times and reportedly a really nice bitter ale!

Batch: 19 litres
OG 1.054
FG 1.021

Ingredients:
1.8kg Amber malt extract
1.8kg Pale malt extract
450g Munich extract
56g Northern Brewer hops (8% alpha acid), for 45mins.
28g Perle or Northern Brewer hops (8% alpha acid), for 5 mins.
1 packet of Crossmyloof Real Ale yeast 10g
1 pack of Crossmyloof Carbonation drops for bottle conditioning.

Step by step:
Place 450g of cracked Munich grain into a hop bag and put 2L of water. Bring water to 76c/170F. Turn off burner, but do not remove kettle from burner. Cover and steep for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove bag of grain and mix in malt extracts. Bring to a boil for 10 to 15 minutes and add 56g Northern Brewer hops. Boil for 45 to 50 minutes more. Add the 28g Perle or Northern Brewer hops during the final 5 minutes of the boil. Remove from the heat and cover for 10 minutes. Cool wort, transfer to primary fermenter, top to 19L. Rehydrate yeast for 15 minutes and pitch. After primary fermentation is complete, transfer to a secondary bucket. After a week or two, bottle. Condition for a couple of weeks at room temp then cool for another couple of weeks. Now enjoy :)

Surely you must add more water before doing the boil?
3.6kg of extract in 2l of water will be very thick and after 60 minutes of boiling I'd expect it to be caramelised to hell?

Oops, now seen the OP was over a year ago...

Surely you must add more water before doing the boil?
3.6kg of extract in 2l of water will be very thick and after 60 minutes of boiling I'd expect it to be caramelised to hell?

Oops, now seen the OP was over a year ago...
Your not the only one :)

Latest posts

Back