Kit to AG time?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
really good advice, thank you. My first thought was to go straight to a Bulldog V3 or GF, just because its everything in one place (as I am stuck for space sometimes) and I guess almost fool proof with a little help from YouTube demos.

The only thing putting me off an all-in-one (other than the price!) is that if it packs up one day, then its gone. But If I had an individual mash tun, boilers etc, they can be replaced if needed.

A bit more reading and shopping around is needed I think :)

This is what puts me off ever buying an all in one system as I wouldnt be able to afford to replace it.

Just to bend you head with more options, I do what's known as Maxi-BIAB. Whereby I make a concentrated wort using the BIAB method (including a dunk sparge) and dilute it in the FV a bit like a kit. I have a wilko pot which cost £18. It's advertised as 12L but it's actually 15L to the brim. I can make a full 23L 1.040 brew on my gas hob. If I want anything stronger I just need to make a shorter brewlength. I used to use a aluminium 18.5L pot (I could do a stronger full length brew in this cuz it was bigger of course) but changed to the SS 15L one

I agree with your thoughts on the all-in-one, plus (for me) it takes a little bit of the fun out of it when almost everything is done for you. Putting my kit together has been a fun experience, and has helped me to understand some of the processes along the way. BIAB is a good way to go without investing a truck load of cash and the results have been excellent. It also gives you the option to expand later on if you wanted too.

Taking your time and doing further research is time well invested.

The only thing putting me off an all-in-one (other than the price!) is that if it packs up one day, then its gone.

I don't have one but assumed all the parts that are likely to go wrong would be easily replaced.

I don't have one but assumed all the parts that are likely to go wrong would be easily replaced.

Most parts are replaceable from what i can see on a GF, the only part that would cause me concern on it is the element but the lifetime on non immersion type elements is pretty long.

At a cost because they are for a specific piece of equipment :(

Looks like you can replace everything we know the price of the controler so everything else is going to be less -

https://shop.brewcraftusa.com/grainfather_replacement_parts.aspx

GF_Diagram.png

What i meant was the new controller is £109 if this is the most expensive part i would not be put off buying GF by the worry parts may be silly expensive in fact the picture showing what can be replaced would give me confidence in buying one, several members have the GF and i cannot remember anyone reporting major breakages.

It would be just my luck that it packs in the day after the warranty expires haha. I've seen a couple of people say that the temp control and pump switch can be temperamental and have to be replaced. But I wouldn't have a clue how to take it apart and replace components.

What i meant was the new controller is �£109 if this is the most expensive part i would not be put off buying GF by the worry parts may be silly expensive in fact the picture showing what can be replaced would give me confidence in buying one, several members have the GF and i cannot remember anyone reporting major breakages.

As mentioned, I'm not knocking the GF. If that's the way you want to go and you are willing to splash the cash (currently retailing on Amazon.de for 945€ plus postage), then go for it.

Although I'm updating bits n bobs in the system (about 10 years old now) I still enjoy the "heath Robinson" style of things- even though I use a shiny fermenter and brews fridge. Whatever you use, if it works, stick with it....but there's always room to tinker!

I've had a lot of fun putting together my 50 ltr stainless steel brew pot, PID heat controller, wort chiller, pump etc. and still keep having ideas on how it could be improved as I read through the forum and gain more experience. For me the BIAB Heath Robinson way of doing things is the way to go, but may not be the way for everyone.
But whatever way you brew, have fun and share the experience :lol:

I havent ruled out of getting a GF..

that said the simplicity of a burger a big pot and full BIAB.. its so easy.. the problem is brewing outside isn't always ideal.. I can bring it in the conservatory but its a pain moving stuff around making sure dog don't go near it ect..

I was totally put off by leccy with a dodgy ACE boiler and it did make me think how can you go wrong with gas? That said I think a GF would be a much better build than ACE.

How long does a GF brew day take (out of curiosity) probably the same as others..

For various reasons (being a taxi service, looking after kids etc.) my first attempt took 10 hours! I have managed to get it down to around 7, including setting up and cleaning up afterwards, and that’s after 3 brews. I think I could shave an hour off that if I put my mind to it, although I do like a leisurely brew day:whistle:

For various reasons (being a taxi service, looking after kids etc.) my first attempt took 10 hours! I have managed to get it down to around 7, including setting up and cleaning up afterwards, and that’s after 3 brews. I think I could shave an hour off that if I put my mind to it, although I do like a leisurely brew day:whistle:

Interesting

Everyone does it at their own pace.. I find with the full volume BIAB I can set teh mash and go shopping walk the dog ect if I want and mash our when ready

But I find brew times are 4-6 hours

I wish I'd gone full front and bought the GF straight away, though obviously it boils down to money and how much you're willing to spend. I had a money jar dedicated to buying a GF.

I started out with a cooler, but got impatient trying to manage temperatures and volume, and setting up an entire home-brewery everytime I came to brew, which is very time consuming. Something like the GF works well for me because it's easy to set up, takes up little space and it's easy(ish) to clean.

I love the equipment I use, and haven't looked back. If it's a hobby you'll stick with, then spend the money!

Latest posts

Back