Bohemian Pilsner vs Vienna Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamthefly

Reaction score
Hi,

Please could folks describe the difference in flavour between these two styles? My books and the web describe them both as a rich malty character, but what is the difference?

Gonna make one in a couple of weeks to be my summer time drink this year so the runner up will have to wait until next year.

Thanks.

I made a Bohemian Pilsner once and it was quite bitter, but in a good way.
If Vienna lager is anything like Munich lager it will have a more pronounced malt flavour.

Hmm, not a fan of overly bitter lagers. That's one against the Bohemian.

The best beer I've ever had is a red lager called Redact by Williams Brothers. Can't find it in shops. Was thinking Vienna Lager might be close, but the Bohemian Pilsner looked simple and, like I said above, was described in the same way. Will look into Munich lager.

Vienna lager uses a base of Vienna malt which is darker. Bohemian pilsner malt is just as pale as normal pilsner malt. They both have a strong flavour of the base malt but the malts are different.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Just started drinking my Vienna lager that I brewed back in January. It is much darker than traditional lager, more like a brown ale in colour. But it's not bitter or excessively hoppy. Refreshingly moreish though. I've never tried bohemian so I can't offer any comparison - sorry..! :-?

Dunno why I wrote this.....:doh:

What people seem to forget is the time that original Pilsner conditions three months. I am sure that this lessens the hop bitterness considerably. However, pilsner malt is much less kilned than Vienna malt, so this should give a definite difference in taste.

So in what way does Bohemian Pilsner differ from regular Pilsner Pilsner?

If you can get your hands on an imported Pilsner Urquell that's a stereotypical Bohemian pils. I find it very biscuity with a malt emphasis over hops.

Sitting in the brewing shed drinking my first ever AG lager.....its blooming lovely and so so far removed from the swill we have on offer from the big boy brewers.....I used malt miller lager malt and safale lager yeast+ saaz hops all per Greg Hughes recipe. Its got so much more body and taste whilst still being crisp and refreshing- dive in, give it a go and you won't be disappointed whatever malt you end up using.

And on a side note......consider treating your water......I live right in London next to the east London reservoir's- the water comes out of the tap fighting, so I use Tesco value water- but even so, I still give it the crs treatment.....I think it makes a difference. ...I'll shut up now, time for dinner.

Sitting in the brewing shed drinking my first ever AG lager.....its blooming lovely and so so far removed from the swill we have on offer from the big boy brewers.....I used malt miller lager malt and safale lager yeast+ saaz hops all per Greg Hughes recipe. Its got so much more body and taste whilst still being crisp and refreshing- dive in, give it a go and you won't be disappointed whatever malt you end up using.

Which lager recipe from GH's book did you use? I have some saaz sitting in my freezer all ready to go. I'll do it after the summer though when the weather turns cooler

I ordered the malts for the Greg Hughes Vienna Malt recipe. I'm swapping the hops for different ones I have in the freezer with a rough attempt to match characters. Gonna use a couple of Mangrove Jack Bohemian lager yeast packets. Probably no secondary fermentation as I only have 1 bucket.
All to keep the cost and 'fection risk down.

Will brew on Saturday morning.

It should, at least, be beer.
It might, at most, taste like it too.

And on a side note......consider treating your water......I live right in London next to the east London reservoir's- the water comes out of the tap fighting, so I use Tesco value water- but even so, I still give it the crs treatment.....I think it makes a difference. ...I'll shut up now, time for dinner.

My tap water is soft enough to be counted as pure (+chlorine).
I read on BYO for a Vienna Lager just add half a tsp Calcium Sulphate and the same of chalk. Sounds easy enough. I've done the water tests, but I still find the software confusing.
Will also add some yeast nutrients and then see what comes out.

Back