2 Kits , back to basics

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astralbrew

Reaction score
Hello Beer monsters

Have had some pretty dire results doing stout over the past months....:doh:

So back to the process, gotta work this out..
2 kits down on the 6/5/17...
Muntons IPA
Mangrove Jack's Night Watchman Porter

all looking good 2 days in, Mangrove has 'target' hops (50g) to add after 5 days bubbling, so am going to add 50g (cascade) to the IPA aswell... and leave the lot to rot for as long as i can tolerate...:whistle:

Hoping for something decent for the summer...

Astral

Hello Beer monsters

Muntons IPA

all looking good 2 days in, Mangrove has 'target' hops (50g) to add after 5 days bubbling, so am going to add 50g (cascade) to the IPA aswell... and leave the lot to rot for as long as i can tolerate...:whistle:

Astral
If you are dry hopping then I would not add any hops until the fermentation has finished, irrespective of what the instructions tell you. Then leave it for between 5-7 days with the hops before you package, If you dry hop too early and the fermentation is still quite active the CO2 strips out the volatile hop oils and they are lost from your beer.

Hello Beer monsters

Muntons IPA

Astral

What happened to the stout? I didn't think much could go wrong with it.

Can Coopers Stout + Can Coopers Dark Ale + 500-1000 grams of Dextrose.
Ferment for two weeks. Bottle. Drink after a month.

Hi Pirate Pete

I really don't know what went wrong,, i followed a recipe, used good grains and yeast,, something is a bit iffy with my produce... Next time i will add dextrose to the fermenter i reckon... All tastes a bit ****

will do your recipe, with the two cans next..

:doh:

Hi Pirate Pete

I really don't know what went wrong,, i followed a recipe, used good grains and yeast,, something is a bit iffy with my produce... Next time i will add dextrose to the fermenter i reckon... All tastes a bit ****

will do your recipe, with the two cans next..

:doh:

I just put another on at the weekend.

I steeped 250 grams of choc malt in this one.
Added a kilo of dextrose instead of the usual half kilo.
Used both kits yeasts. It's in the brew fridge going great.

What happened to the stout? I didn't think much could go wrong with it.

Can Coopers Stout + Can Coopers Dark Ale + 500-1000 grams of Dextrose.
Ferment for two weeks. Bottle. Drink after a month.

You dont bottle and drink stout in a month , two weeks carbonation and at least 2-3 months conditioning , no matter what the instructions say. most brewers on this forum will tell you the same, Stout needs long maturation.

You dont bottle and drink stout in a month , two weeks carbonation and at least 2-3 months conditioning , no matter what the instructions say. most brewers on this forum will tell you the same, Stout needs long maturation.

It is quite drinkable after a month believe me, if you're short on supply and need something in a hurry.
A couple of my English mates and an Aussie work colleague all think it's drinkable.
I give them a case and tell them it'll be better if they keep it for a while,
but they all seem quite happy to drink it as am I.

I am drinking some now which is 6 weeks old and is quite good.
I also put some away last year and am drinking some which is nearly a year old.

Back