youngs new world saison

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all
Anyone done this kit? It's a 4 kg job with 100g of hops and a nice big 20g Belgian yeast! The instructions recommend pitching at around 24°c and fermenting at 24 or higher...I suspect a blow off tube will be needed. ..

Cheers

Clint
..had a bit of a search on the forum and it seems this likes to be somewhere around 26-30...and generally has excellent reviews! Right...that's the first job tomorrow when I get up off nights! And maybe the JB ale....

Last edited:
I've done it, and very much enjoyed it. It took a while to come good, and there is a sweet spot between having enough conditioning time and the hops fading.

I had no temp control when I brewed it in the middle of the hottest spell of last summer. Having read around, though, I would do as you suggest and start cooler, increasing temp during fermentation. I probably wouldn't go as high as you have suggested though. Good luck.

Conscious this is an old thread, but I have a few questions re this Saison kit. My mate fancies a go at brewing and has bought this kit, which I've agreed to assist with using my kit. Having read the instructions its actually a very simple, no-boil, straight-to-fermenter brew.

I've brewed a few kits and I've "designed" and brewed my own recipes using Beersmith 3, using the Palmer method (half-volume boils). I now also have a Klarstein Mundschenk XXL (50L) Electric Brewing system, a pump with air-stones for aerating wort, and have a fridge with inkbird and temp control, so can step fermentation temps, dry hop, and cold-crash where required. I've even got a big CO2 bottle & regulator (from welding) that I could use to purge oxygen. This kit though - other than making sure I put it in the fermenter at hight 20s C, it all looks ridiculously straight forward.

My question (finally!) is, given the above, are there any things that could be done to improve this brew? Any recommendations re fermentation, such as start colder and step up to 30 over a week? rehydrate the yeast & pitch as liquid? Create the wort in a kettle and then close-transfer to a CO2-filled Fermenter? Is any of this going to make enough of a difference, or should I treat the kit as per the instructions which are for "first-timers" and just "wing it"?

Hi all
I brewed this kit around 4 years ago with my usual method, low and slow. 19’ and 23 days fermentation. Temp may have been a little low going by instructions but it turned out a cracking brew and v popular with a couple of friends too ashock1 lol
Would (should) definitely do another

Latest posts

Back