one supplier or shop around?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm lucky, in that I have 3 LHBS's nearby, which I use in rotation. One has a good all round selection, one has a good selection of hops and one has a good website, but all are good value. There are some things I can only order online and usually bulk out orders to mitigate postal costs, but don't necessarily find it cheaper online.

I have to say I used 247 and they were fast
I ordered a 15 litre fv from them and the chap was kind enough to include a grommet and a pack of no rinse sanitizer
Would highly recommend this company

I nearly always use Geterbrewed for ingredients. I got some hops from Crossmyloof recently and was really impressed with the service so might try their yeast for my next few brews. Equipment wise I shop around. I've got some mini kegs from Brew UK, Leyland Homebrew and the-home-brew-shop and found the service from the latter to be far superior to the other 2.

My nearest shop is in Edinburgh (about 60 miles away). I've looked into making an order to collect from them when I've been going to Edinburgh but every time I've found in cheaper just to order through GEB with the£6 postage charge.
Just an update 1 year on from my post. I used the CML yeasts a few times but have switched back to MJ/Fermentis. I liked the US Pale and Cali Common but not impressed by the others I tried. Still use them for one-off or hard to find hop purchases (although I note that they were temporarily closed last time I wanted to get hops so shopped around and went to Maltmiller).

I recently used Maltmiller for some Citra hops and saison yeast and the delivery was super speedy. I’ll definitely compare their prices to GEB going forward as I was very impressed.

I’ve still not used the shop in Edinburgh but might pop in next time I’m in the City Centre and not rushing about!

I like to buy everything I can from my LHBS. Prices are OK (with no postage) & advice has been great which I'm happy to "pay" for. However, they don't stock everything, so I do stray online for things they don't have.

Reading this thread makes me realise how lucky I am to live near to The Homebrew Shop. Customer service can be a little interesting at times (those who have ever been there will know what I mean!) but their stock, quality and prices are good.

We all like fast delivery...particularly with what we have actually ordered,in the right amount and condition..
But what enables that fast delivery...is it speed of order processing,providing they have the stock in the first place,someone dashing out with your order to the post office,their choice of courier?
Obviously some suppliers are better than others and we keep going back...why do some get it so wrong? Especially as I can tell the world how **** something is within minutes...

I live in Worcester and my local home brew shop is Daves home brew what a gem he is the font of all knowledge ..it"might" cost me a few pence more ..but I consider it well worth it for that one on one personal touch.

I live in Worcester and my local home brew shop is Daves home brew what a gem he is the font of all knowledge ..it"might" cost me a few pence more ..but I consider it well worth it for that one on one personal touch.
Good choice. Some things don't have a price. Like service, a personal touch, the fact that you can have what you want within an hour instead of waiting for the postman.

Reading this thread makes me realise how lucky I am to live near to The Homebrew Shop. Customer service can be a little interesting at times (those who have ever been there will know what I mean!) but their stock, quality and prices are good.
I know what you mean!

My local homebrew place has such a useless owner that it was usually me telling him how to carry on. Now, they're alright for when I run out of bottle tops or summat and simultaneously picking up a pork pie from the shop next door.

Back