how long should it take?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is just guess work but if you have filled to the shoulder and now rack you will probably lose another half inch or more i would top them up close to the neck as the vigorous fermentation should have passed and keep your fingers crossed, you have learned two painful but valuable lessons the hard way with this wine stick to the recommended levels of sugar in tried and tested recipes and in this hobby patience is a virtue you cannot rush things. (we have all learned the second one the hard way believe me)

If you stick to the recipe and keep to temp it's at .995 or less in a week.. mine was at .992 in 7 days. 48 hours to clear and it's drinkable and bloody lovely - and so cheap.

This is just guess work but if you have filled to the shoulder and now rack you will probably lose another half inch or more i would top them up close to the neck as the vigorous fermentation should have passed and keep your fingers crossed, you have learned two painful but valuable lessons the hard way with this wine stick to the recommended levels of sugar in tried and tested recipes and in this hobby patience is a virtue you cannot rush things. (we have all learned the second one the hard way believe me)
Yip definitely still got a lot to learn. Thanks again.

So one of my wows is no sitting at just below 1.000 right where it says bottle so is this good to clear now or leave maybe another day, tastes strong but good.

yes, totally depends on your taste... I stop fermentation around .995 to .992 and add 250ml of apple juice per demijohn (as per chippy_tea advice) as my wife likes the rose medium..

I don't think there tends to be a right or wrong answer.. just depends on taste.

On the subject of adding the apple juice to give more taste (for us not to backsweeten) I have had a few start to ferment again so I am now adding the half litre at the start to see if it helps, the first experiment is going to be cleared later, I will leave feedback in the supermarket juice thread when we have tasted it.

I racked it an hour ago and its already got a good layer of sediment at the bottom, going to bottle tomorrow if its cleared so will let you know.

Latest posts

Back