Not started after 4 days - advice?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonind

Reaction score
I made up some Better Brew Czech Pilsner on Sunday, added 1Kg Brew Enhancer and the yeast and it's not bubbling yet even though it's been at about 19-20 degrees C.

Any advice on what to do? Buy some more yeast? Up the temperature?

I'm happy to leave it a bit longer but don't want it to spoil...

Cheers
Simon

Can you see any krausen forming in the fv? Ive had beers brew with very little bubbling going on.

As above. Can you spot any frothing through the FV?. If you are relying on an airlock to bubble-don't:)

there's a small amount of foam on the surface and a crust around the edge but that may be from the original mixing of the wort. It smells CO2-ey, if that's a thing. If it's going bad will it smell vinegar-y or otherwise off?

there's a small amount of foam on the surface and a crust around the edge but that may be from the original mixing of the wort. It smells CO2-ey, if that's a thing. If it's going bad will it smell vinegar-y or otherwise off?
Sounds ok.Just leave it alone. There isn't always a whole lot going on big time.:thumb:

@simonind
It's more than possible that your brew has nearly fermented out after 4/5 days. At the correct temperature (which you have) and with the right amount of yeast many normal gravity beers are pretty much done by then. The evidence which you have is a ring of crud above the brew on the FV wall deposited by the krausen (the foam that is produced during the vigorous part of the fermentation). The only thing that is missing are bubbles from your airlock, but if your FV and the lid don't seal properly and the seal leaks, which is common, your airlock is as good as a chocolate teapot.
If you really want to find out where you are I suggest you take an SG reading. If its finishing it should be below about 1.012 or thereabouts. If its above 1.020 there is still some way to go. Either way when you have taken your sample put the lid back on and leave it for another 10 days to properly finish and clean up.
And of course all this could be wrong and your SG reading will not have moved much from the OG reading, but I think that unlikely.

I think I'll leave it until the weekend and then take the gravity in case it's done. The last few brews have been a bit more dramatic in terms of krausen and have produced lots of bubbles.

Checked the gravity and its about 1012 down from 1042 originally so I guess all is fine. I've ordered some Saaz from crossmyloof to dry hop it later this week.

Panic over, Cheers!

there's a small amount of foam on the surface and a crust around the edge but that may be from the original mixing of the wort. It smells CO2-ey, if that's a thing.

I've had a few brews where that's the only visible sign of fermentation and they've all been fine - last time it happened the yeast munched its way down to 1.008!

Latest posts

Back